How to keep laptop awake while lid is closed?

Reaction score
I have inspected 'System Preferences' but unable to find the option to prevent the laptop from sleeping while the lid is closed and connected to the power adapter.

The reason: While I use Apple TV, I want my laptop lid closed without the movie being played on it stopped. Call me superficial but the room does not look as neat if I have my TV and laptop screens both displaying simultaneously. I hope that's a fair request to have.

M

MacInWin

I don't know of a solution, but I will caution you that the MBP uses the top surface as a cooling agent for MBP's, so closing the clamshell and keeping it running can lead to heating. Given the intensity of video when driving a movie, that heat generation could be a real problem. So my suggesting would be to close the clamshell but leave it open slightly. I've also seen advice to put it on a stand with air circulating underneath to improve cooling as well.

BTW, the rationale for Apple to have it sleep when closed is to prevent someone from accidentally closing it, not realizing it's still running, and then putting it into a carry bag or sleeve and not allowing ANY cooling.

As for using it with Apple TV, I have my laptop in a different room so I don't even see it when I'm watching a movie through it. Just a thought for you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Good point with the heating of the screen and leaving the laptop in another room.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could just turn the brightness all the way down.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have not bought Apple TV yet (buying tomorrow) but by adjusting the brightness on the laptop, it may have the consequential effect for the tv, since Apple TV mirrors the laptop

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I wouldn't expect the brightness on the laptop to have any effect on the Apple TV's brightness..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
M

MacInWin

Given that the OP was concerned about how it looked to have the MBP open while he watched movies, I don't think attaching a keyboard and monitor will be a solution he wants...just sayin' :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
I put my movies into my iTunes library and turn on home sharing. I can leave my macbook in my bedroom and play movies/songs thru my AppleTV all night without the macbook going to sleep. I don't think it plays the movies/songs on the computer when it's using itunes to stream the files to my AppleTV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Given that the OP was concerned about how it looked to have the MBP open while he watched movies, I don't think attaching a keyboard and monitor will be a solution he wants
Probably true, but it's the only way it will work.

Bluetooth. Hide em in the TV cabinet
No, must be a USB keyboard and mouse.

OP
S
Reaction score
Given that the OP was concerned about how it looked to have the MBP open while he watched movies, I don't think attaching a keyboard and monitor will be a solution he wants...just sayin' :D

I don't mind connected Bluetooth keyboard, since it's wireless but at attaching my laptop to my TV using wires don't aesthetically appeal to me

OP
S
Reaction score
Probably true, but it's the only way it will work.

If I can connect a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse while being able to close the lid, that's perfect! I can surf the web using the TV as a monitor while lying on my bed with the keyboard and mouse. Great bedroom setting.

Does it have to be with both the keyboard and mouse or can it just be with one device?
But yeah, I would have to use both the keyboard and mouse to actually surf the web...just asking

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not quite - you can use BT peripherals in clamshell mode (I do it here quite frequently).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not quite - you can use BT peripherals in clamshell mode (I do it here quite frequently).
OK. I was just going by what Apple say in my link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.