green flickering display on Macbook Pro 15"

Reaction score
my 2009 Macbook pro 15" has just started displaying bright green pixels flickering wherever there's a dark area on screen, particularly in photos. I've seen the issue being posted elsewhere, but no resolutions. It's been suggested it's the graphics card and when i press down hard directly to the left of the "tab" key the flickering green goes away... Can anyone help?? thanks

I have a video but not sure how to post here....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Display "flickering" can be a possible bad or fraying display cable.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Nick... is this something that is fixable relatively easily?

Firstly...the bad video cable I mentioned is just a possibility. The only way to know for sure is to replace the cable...and see if things are corrected.

Second...who's going to do the work...you or a professional? I'm asking since the cost to fix this may be a lot more than you think...and could be a good proportion of a 2009 MacBook Pro's value. Repairing computers can be expensive...and on older computers...it's better if the owner can do their own repairs.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I would have to get someone else to repair it... which somewhat complicates things unless this is a relatively easy fix.... 1) I'm in Belize, which does not have any apple repair centers 2) i'd have to order parts from the US for someone to bring down

re the cost... this computer was given to me so it actually cost me nothing.... so i don't mind spending on a fix... it'll be cheaper than buying a new computer here in Belize, macs are in any case not available here.

If the fix is something that a (non mac) repair person could do can you let me know?

many thanks I do appreciate your help!
anna

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would have to get someone else to repair it... which somewhat complicates things unless this is a relatively easy fix....

"Relative" is a relative term. What one person thinks is easy...another person will find hard. Let's put it this way. If you've never opened up a laptop computer before...then this repair will be harder for a first-timer than for someone who has done it 100x.

1) I'm in Belize, which does not have any apple repair centers 2) i'd have to order parts from the US for someone to bring down

Aah...you're at least our 2nd member from Belize!:)

If the fix is something that a (non mac) repair person could do can you let me know?

Go to this website:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Look up the repair procedure that most closely matches what you need to do (replace the video/display cable). Then see if you can do it. Of course remember you're going to need some tools!;)

Yes...this is a repair a non-Mac repair person could do. But I'm sure they're going to complain a lot about working on a Mac. And will probably want to charge you more...just because.

Finally...again. It may or may not be the video cable. From what you describe...it could be the video cable. But then it could also be the video hardware. And if it's the video hardware...then the computer will need a replacement logic board (EXPENSIVE)!
performed

The video cable is simply a MUCH less expensive repair...and a repair that can be by a user.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you very much Nick. I'll be consulting with the "other" Belize user of this forum who is a good friend of mine (it's a very small country!!)... since everything else works fine and it's just "iincovenient" I may have to just live with it! manythanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much Nick. I'll be consulting with the "other" Belize user of this forum who is a good friend of mine (it's a very small country!!)...

Ahh...that's very fortunate!:) I've been to Belize...but just did the typical "tourist stuff".;)

... since everything else works fine and it's just "iincovenient" I may have to just live with it! manythanks again!

I was going to mention this as a possibility...if the problem wasn't too bad or was too difficult to get repaired.

- Nick

Reaction score
Green flicker and TAB

Hey.

Did you ever get the problem resolved? I have the excact same issue and i can mace the green disappear when pressing down on the body next to TAB-key.

Reaction score
Hey.

Did you ever get the problem resolved? I have the excact same issue and i can mace the green disappear when pressing down on the body next to TAB-key.

I have the same problem, and when I push on the body next to the TAB the green flickering goes away. Do you know, how i can resolve this permanently?

Reaction score
I have the same problem, and when I push on the body next to the TAB the green flickering goes away. Do you know, how i can resolve this permanently?

Bump!
same for me. pressing the body next to tab key makes the green dots go away. how to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try opening it up and reseating the video cables. Make sure they're tight and seated snugly to the connectors. If that doesn't cure it, then you probably need to replace the cable(s).

Reaction score
I cant check the connection on the screen end of the cable (I don't have that funky star shaped screwdriver to take the screen off), but I have re-seated the one on the logic board. Seemed to help until I closed laptop and used it the next time. same puke green crap. I checked the cable again, seems fine. I guess ill have to take it to a repair shop. ****.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cant check the connection on the screen end of the cable (I don't have that funky star shaped screwdriver to take the screen off)...

I guess ill have to take it to a repair shop. ****.

You could purchase an inexpensive mini-screwdriver set which includes the screwdriver you're missing. An inexpensive thing to do before taking it to the shop.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.