Are Mavericks issues resolved?

Reaction score
I have delayed upgrading to Mavericks until the original bugs were ironed out. Has Apple sorted the problems yet?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I upgraded to Mavericks day one and have not had any issues or identified any bugs..

Which ones are you talking about?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I had an issue with Finder being extremely slow, but got it resolved.

OP
Gren
Reaction score
I upgraded to Mavericks day one and have not had any issues or identified any bugs..

Which ones are you talking about?

Problems with Mail and general slowness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have delayed upgrading to Mavericks until the original bugs were ironed out. Has Apple sorted the problems yet?

Well, my son (an IT pro) upgraded immediately - I waited a couple of weeks (had 2 computers on Mountain Lion to transition) - had no problems; Mail on wife's iMac is intermittently a problem, but Mail on my MBPro works fine (both Yahoo accounts) - no other issues.

Attached pic from HERE shows that Mavericks is still at 10.9 although a number of 'builds' have been released. Probably more important for you is whether your hardware is compatible for the newest OS upgrade and which OS X you are currently using - good luck! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 11.58.18 AM.png

OP
Gren
Reaction score
Well, my son (an IT pro) upgraded immediately - I waited a couple of weeks (had 2 computers on Mountain Lion to transition) - had no problems; Mail on wife's iMac is intermittently a problem, but Mail on my MBPro works fine (both Yahoo accounts) - no other issues.

Attached pic from HERE shows that Mavericks is still at 10.9 although a number of 'builds' have been released. Probably more important for you is whether your hardware is compatible for the newest OS upgrade and which OS X you are currently using - good luck! Dave :)

Dave, thanks. I have a two year-old iMac running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 so it should be compatible.

How long does the process take altogether?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Dave, thanks. I have a two year-old iMac running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 so it should be compatible.

How long does the process take altogether?

Well, you're ready to go! :)

There are plenty of posts in this forum so you might want to search; also, there are good guides available on the web, e.g. check THIS ONE.

Since my computers were only 6 months old, I just installed over Mtn Lion rather that doing a clean install; make sure you backup your computer before proceeding (e.g. Time Machine) and you may want to make a Mavericks USB boot disk (again info in this forum & in the link).

As to the time - can't remember specifically - the download takes a while (and of course depends on your connection - I have a moderate fast broadband provider) and then the installation (which will depend on your choice of 'clean' vs. what I did). Ask any other questions if still concerned - there are many much more experienced people here who will be glad to help. Good luck - Dave

M

MacInWin

I think most of the "slowness" for early adopters was a result of Spotlight re-indexing the drives, particularly in multi-drive systems. Some slowness in Finder was caused by having Calculate all Sizes set in the options for finder. Other than that and my weird problem with Time Machine, I've not heard of any problems.

OP
Gren
Reaction score
I think most of the "slowness" for early adopters was a result of Spotlight re-indexing the drives, particularly in multi-drive systems. Some slowness in Finder was caused by having Calculate all Sizes set in the options for finder. Other than that and my weird problem with Time Machine, I've not heard of any problems.

Thanks, Gren

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

There was also a potential issue with corruption of the Finder plist file, and/or App Nap. I applied both fixes, deleting and forcing Finder to rebuild the plist file (didn't really notice any improvement from this) and using a Terminal command to turn off AppNap for Finder. Saw an immediate and dramatic speedup with Finder after the second fix.

EDIT: I assumed at first it was just a Spotlight issue with re-indexing the drives, but after waiting a few weeks and it still hadn't gotten any faster I started Googling and found that many were having issues (mostly those who upgraded rather than doing a clean install).

Reaction score
So what's the command to kill AppNap? Slow Finder was one of the reasons I went back to ML.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what's the command to kill AppNap? Slow Finder was one of the reasons I went back to ML.

sudo defaults write com.apple.Finder NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Finder here is blazing fast and no mail issues. Perian no longer works in the new QT. They changed video engines. Otherwise no issues at all.

The only for sure issue with mail i heard of was only with Googles improper IMAP implementation and that has been sorted with a fix from apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.