Mac Pro 2006 - Can I rebuild?

Reaction score
Hi there, I bought my Mac Pro Desktop new in 2006. It has been the best computer I have ever owned.

I can't afford to buy a new one so I was wondering if it's possible to rebuild my computer to new? I can't go beyond OSX 10.6.8 since it's outdated now and I'd love to keep using this one.

Thanks for the help!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can't afford to buy a new one so I was wondering if it's possible to rebuild my computer to new?

Depends what you mean by "rebuild"...and it depends if you expect this rebuilding to be done by you...or by someone else.

There is no "official" way to rebuild this computer. If you cannot do the rebuilding yourself...then it would be too expensive to have it done by someone else. And honestly...there aren't that many folks that know what to do.

The key is...you need to do it yourself.

I can't go beyond OSX 10.6.8 since it's outdated now and I'd love to keep using this one.

This computer can actually be upgraded to OS 10.7.5. But that's as far as it can go.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The problem is early Mac Pros, 1.1 and 2.1, whilst being 64bit architecture, have 32bit EFI which restricts them severely. They will run Lion natively but after that you have to hack. A later 2008 model 3.1 will run Mavericks the current OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.