Dragging images from Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Why can I no longer drag images straight out of an email to either my desktop or Photoshop as I did before? I don't always want to save them, sometimes I just need to work on them and then copy and paste them (a one time thing) into Keynote.

I looked through Mail Preferences, repaired permissions but nothing that I could see. The only way I can do that now is to hit forward at which point the icon for the image appears and I can then drag that. See what I see - and I attached two to demonstrate that it is not only images that I send to myself from my iPhone but from all sources. I am hoping it is only a setting that I have missed and not something new with Mavericks? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 9.31.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 9.28.32 AM.png

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
What is probably happening there is that the Mail app is not downloading the image by default, so (since it hasn't been downloaded) you can't drag it onto your desktop or anywhere else. Do you have a button at the top of you email which says 'Load Images'? If so, that is what is happening.

The reason that images are not downloaded by default is that this is one way Spammers can identify that your email is real (downloading the image passes information on who downloaded it) and once they have done that they will sell on your address to other Spammers!

Consequently, you should only download the images if they come from a source you trust and you gave them your email address already. Once an image has been downloaded you can drag it onto your desktop etc. as you like.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
What is probably happening there is that the Mail app is not downloading the image by default, so (since it hasn't been downloaded) you can't drag it onto your desktop or anywhere else. Do you have a button at the top of you email which says 'Load Images'? If so, that is what is happening.

The reason that images are not downloaded by default is that this is one way Spammers can identify that your email is real (downloading the image passes information on who downloaded it) and once they have done that they will sell on your address to other Spammers!

Consequently, you should only download the images if they come from a source you trust and you gave them your email address already. Once an image has been downloaded you can drag it onto your desktop etc. as you like.

Hi - :)
Actually there is no button that says "load images" and I had no problem dragging them from either my email or from Google before installing Mavericks. As I had mentioned, I can drag them if I forward the email and which opens the email in the forward window and then they show up as a jpeg or tiff icon or whatever type of image I have been sent, then I can drag them from there. This is therefore what I have been doing. Virtually all the images that I receive that I need or want to drag into Photoshop or to my desktop are from the people I do work for, (event renders) so I have no qualms about the source. These are not cutsey pics or adverts, but genuine images sent by well known corporate clients, and usually sent to me by their marketing departments. Bit of a head scratcher this?
Thank you for responding.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you see this setting in Mail:

MailSettings_zps25e980c4.jpg

If you check this box then Mail will download the images automatically, which still seems to be the most likely cause of your problem.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Hate to say it - but that box was already checked. :(

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some Googling turned up this thread which it looks like might solve your problem:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4996432

The second post by 'Alberto Ravasio' would seem to fix it. I haven't tried this on my MBP , so proceed with caution.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Some Googling turned up this thread which it looks like might solve your problem:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4996432

The second post by 'Alberto Ravasio' would seem to fix it. I haven't tried this on my MBP , so proceed with caution.

I'm sorry - I guess I am not explaining myself very well. I don't have a problem with sending images. And actually not sure if the folk posting on that topic know that there has been an update (came out shortly after Mavericks) for Attachment Tamer, and which I have used for a very long time and would be dead in the water without, due to the whole embedding of images thing when received by a Windows user.

I will have to just do as I have been doing since Mavericks, re the forwarding window and then dragging the images that I do not want to actually save into Photoshop. Thank you for trying so hard. :) I really do appreciate it.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well in that case all I can say is that it works fine on my computer, so it can't be a bug which is hitting everyone. My wife's MBA (late 2010 model) is also running Mavericks and Mail works fine on her machine too, so that at least two different builds both ok.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I shall keep monitoring the situation, and of course as with all things, there is always a workaround, even though it is not necessarily the chosen or accustomed method. A tad frustrating, but such is the nature of the beast. I have not asked anyone else in the marketing or visual arts industry if they have had any such problems. The last time I had a problem and made the mistake to mention on this forum that it was my last resort after searching out a solution elsewhere, I was severely chastised and forced to hang my head in shame for some time thereafter.

I shall have to take a gander over to my neighbour who is also a Mac user and works in marketing, so also works with client sent images on a daily basis, and compare her settings to my own. Ta ever so much though.

C

chas_m

The problem is simple -- the actual picture files weren't included in the original email, only "pointers" to them that don't work.

In short, there's nothing you can do on your end -- the pictures were incorrectly sent. Simple as that.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Forgive me for sounding like a doubting Thomas Chas, but not entirely convinced, as when I have these issues I run "tests" and attach/send images to myself from various devices and different email addresses, and I sure hope I know how to do that :) or I deserve to be fired as a conceptual artist.

Can't help noticing as well that it comes and goes. This morning for some inexplicable reason the image fairy sprinkled her pixel dust (yes - corny I know ) and everything is as it should be. Still - love this forum and the help I get here always elicits an "aha" moment, so don't write me off as a "dang - not wasting my time with her anymore." It's just hard sometimes, even with someone as long winded as myself to really explain the problem, and I swear that sometimes these machines have AI, as quite often the minute I write with an issue, the next day without any tampering, things work out.
Cheers.

C

chas_m

It is also possible that your machine is trying to tell you it could use a little maintenance. We suggest OnyX and strongly urge you to AVOID MacKeeper or anything along those lines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.