cloning my macbook

Reaction score
I have a white macbook late 2009 6.1 model with snow leopard. I want to upgrade to mountain lion (afraid of Maverick with the WD issues) Before I do I want to clone my macbook. I have one wd passport with my macbook backup on it. I have one WD my book studio with all my raw pictures on it that I use with lightroom. I bought another my book studio to use as a backup for my first my book studio. Before I use it as a backup I want to clone my macbook then install mountain lion. My question (finally) I have the instructions steps to format your hard drive as an HFS+ volume. Is this the steps I follow with my new my book studio. Once I install mountain lion and it is running fine, what steps do I need to take to make this drive usable for a backup of my other. I don't want to install any wd software and have removed all software. Thank You

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First, if you are not using any WD drive management software, there is no issue with Mavericks and WD drives.

Yes, prior to cloning you will need to partition/format the drive as HFS+.
For a bootable clone, you will need either SuperDuper! or CarbonCopycloner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.