How to COMPLETELY uninstall certain apps

Reaction score
Hi all,

The process to completely uninstall an app is to seemingly go into 'applications' folder and drag that intended app to trash. I performed this un-installation method for Skype and another app (i.e. File Locker).

However, upon re-installing both the apps, the apps still remembered my 'preferences'. Why is this so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Because they may have left plist files behind.

If you use an app like Appcleaner it will clear those out for you as you uninstall an app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Because they may have left plist files behind.

If you use an app like Appcleaner it will clear those out for you as you uninstall an app.

I noticed this as well. I still have Sugar Sync manager in my log in items in system preferences even after removing it with Appcleaner. Its not a big deal I just have it checked. But it would be nice to be able to remove it.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's a shortcoming of today's O.S, whether Windows or Mac. 'Ghost' files can be left behind even after uninstallation. What's inconvenient is when you cannot track down the location of such files to delete them. Only time will tell that we will have an OS that deletes everything once the main file is deleted. If they master this trait, I can't think of anything else that will make O.S more perfect!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
There is one golden rule when removing apps.
If you installed the app by simply dragging it to the application folder, then drag it from the application folder to the trash.
If you installed an app using an installer, then use the same installer to un-install that app ( and not just simply dragging it into the trash, leaving all sorts of files behind. )
That's it.
A plist file that remains on the disk is not an issue at all as long as there is no piece of code accessing the plist file.

It is not a flaw of any OS.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
That's a shortcoming of today's O.S, whether Windows or Mac. 'Ghost' files can be left behind even after uninstallation. What's inconvenient is when you cannot track down the location of such files to delete them. Only time will tell that we will have an OS that deletes everything once the main file is deleted. If they master this trait, I can't think of anything else that will make O.S more perfect!

Well having been a 30+ year veteran of Windows my transition to Apple in the spring was a complete joy! No more registry & programs putting files in numerous locations - app deletion is much simpler in OS X and the few files left behind are likely small and inconsequential. A useful guide that I have bookmarked can be found HERE - Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
To McBie:

"If you installed an app using an installer, then use the same installer to un-install that app ( and not just simply dragging it into the trash, leaving all sorts of files behind.)"

There are several programs that I have installed using an 'installer' which does not have its 'uninstall' file/program to carry out it's individual uninstallation. To name an example, Firefox. Firefox possesses an installer dmg file which one must open to install. It does not encompass any other file/program/app that allows you to uninstall that specific file. From my understanding at the moment, 2) I can only drag it to trash or 2) use Appcleaner to uninstall Firefox

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Firefox does not have an installer as far as I know.
You download Firefox, and you will see a Firefox_25xxxx.dmg file.
You open the DMG file and it will show you 2 icons, on the left hand side the Firefox app and on the right side an Alias for the applications folder, with a large arrow in between pointing to the right.
You drag the Firefox app onto the Application folder alias .... job done .
That is not an installer.

Cheers ... McBie

****' ..... I need to type faster. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
You quoted: "If you installed the app by simply dragging it to the application folder, then drag it from the application folder to the trash"- Meaning that this method is for a complete uninstallation correct? Unless if I used an installer package, which in this case I doubt.

If 'yes', this method does not completely uninstall Firefox given that when I downloaded and installed Firefox again, all my preferences (e.g. home page) were kept.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Read my post number 6 again mate, last but one sentence.

If you drag an app. from the application folder to the trash ( like firefox ) then a plist file will be left behind, which is very small and causes no issues, unless there is a piece of code accessing that plist file, which is exactly what happens when you install Firefox again. ( Then Firefox will access that plist file that was left behind from your previous uninstall )

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers ... McBie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You really need to read the link above.

Perhaps one day, I'll add on to that thread on how to manually remove what does get left behind.
I was/am a Windows fanatic about the speed of my machines (since I was a pretty hard core gamer/overclocker for many years). I only go in and remove those miscellaneous files during my once every few months manual maintenance. You can do the same - they do not affect the speed of your machine - or learn where they reside and manually delete them - preference files will be located in your users folder / Library / Preferences.

OP
S
Reaction score
I understand. So yes, that's not what is defined as a 'complete uninstallation'. Now back to my first concept, this is not a flaw within the O.S?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drag and drop install/uninstall - When compared with an OS where every piece of software installs not only to the applications folder, but the Start menu, the desktop, the quick launch menu, wants to load itself at startup, ad nauseum... and you can never find all the pieces they install all over the freaking place without becoming a semi-expert at editing the registry.

No, it is not a flaw - a great many folks uninstall and reinstall apps for a great many reasons. For instance a glitchy app - most devs are going to make the first suggestion of uninstalling and reinstalling - in which case, keeping the preference file around means you don't have to go back in and change all the preferences to the way you want them again. And for resetting an apps preferences to default if not available in the UI, a simple trash the plist file will do it as the app will create a new one on the next launch.

Most of those preference files are measured in "bytes" - not even up to "kb" - so you are really not even regaining any disk space by removing them either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Also remember that the plist is created by the app when first run. It's not part of the installation.

If you drag an app to applications, then drag it to trash no plist will exist.

So, technically, trashing the app 100% reverses the installation.

The plist is a file created by the app. You can't have files created by running an application trashed when you uninstall it. This, I suspect, is why the OS doesn't touch them.

Appcleaner et al will try and match plists to applications and give you the option of removing them.

OP
S
Reaction score
In that view, it's seen as advantage. However, what is concerning is that some apps after reinstalling and installing again it keeps the username and password. Don't quote me on this, but I'm somewhat sure that after clicking and dragging Skype to uninstall and installing it again.... I was logged back into Skype again without putting in a password.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that view, it's seen as advantage. However, what is concerning is that some apps after reinstalling and installing again it keeps the username and password. Don't quote me on this, but I'm somewhat sure that after clicking and dragging Skype to uninstall and installing it again.... I was logged back into Skype again without putting in a password.

In which case - delete the plist file - and this could have been done without uninstalling/reinstalling to reset the app in most cases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
So is it a flaw in that regards?

If you talk with the guys at this forum, everyone is very helpful to try and let members get the best out of their machines and enjoy them every day.

It is not a matter of being right or wrong on semantics like this.
Apparently, this issue is of great importance to you so here is my word for it ..... YES it is a flaw. ( case closed )

I am not loosing 1 second of sleep over this flaw thing or plist thing or whatever.

I can only repeat my suggestion that I made to you a week ago in another thread and that was that OS X is not Windows and if you approach it with an open mind, you will be enjoying OS X much more than you can imagine.

Amen.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.