Save location?

Reaction score
I have a 64gb OS drive, then another 1tb whirlybird (if anyone calls it that anymore). I am wanting to record my screen with quicktime, but my startup disk is almost completely full. So how do i chang it to where quicktime records straight to my 1tb instead of the standard startup disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Intel Core i5 / iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 plus
That's easy. Do your recording stuff and after you finished press the Apple button on the keyboard and S at the same time. A gray thing will come out and it will say in the first row 'Export As:'. Write a name for the file and you will see near this is an arrow pointing down. Click it and select where you want to save the file. To save it just click the 'Save' button at the bottom of the gray window.

Done! Enjoy!

Hope I helped!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Intel Core i5 / iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 plus
I have a 64gb OS drive, then another 1tb whirlybird (if anyone calls it that anymore). I am wanting to record my screen with quicktime, but my startup disk is almost completely full. So how do i chang it to where quicktime records straight to my 1tb instead of the standard startup disk?

By the way, was it called Whirlybird? Thanks, good to know those things!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
By the way, was it called Whirlybird? Thanks, good to know those things!

I'm guessing that the OP's 64gig drive is an SSD...and the "Whirlybird" drive is a traditional spinning hard drive.

- Nick

C

chas_m

If your boot drive is "almost completely full," the method described above won't work, as the recording will use the boot drive as a "scratch disk."

The real solution is to find a way to clear more space on your boot drive -- OS X likes to have at least a dozen or two gigs to itself for exactly these sorts of reasons. Might be time to reconsider that boot drive and explore options for a bigger one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.