Double application icons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
I recently noticed that when I use the "open with" function I see two of every application listed. I did some digging and found that this is apparently caused by mounting my Carbon Copy cloner boot drive. Further investigation suggests that this can be solved by doing some funky stuff in terminal. That sorta sounds ominous to me and I'd rather not go messing around in there. Is there a safer easier way to clean this up? I generally do a boot clone once a month and make sure it's working by booting from it so this will likely be on ongoing issue. I can live with it if there no other easier way of cleaning it up tho.

cheers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's caused by a corrupt "Launch Services" data base. Download the free OnyX cleanup and maintenance tool which has an option to reset Launch Services. Make sure you download the correct version of OnyX for the version of OS X you're running.

Resetting the Launch Services data base will get rid of dupes. After you run OnyX, reboot your machine.

OP
scoocum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
Thanks chscag.

M

MacInWin

I fixed it on my MBP by excluding my CCC disk from Spotlight, then forcing it to rebuild the database. Problem solved.

OP
scoocum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
MacInWin - what is spotlight? And what does excluding CCC do? I use it for daily document backups so I'd rather not disable CCC if I can help it.

OP
scoocum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
Sorry, am new to mac so I googled spotlight, it looks like a handy tool. But what do you mean by excluding CCC?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He means you should exclude CCC from the Spotlight index and search. I don't use Spotlight so I don't worry about it. I use several other search and find utilities which work much better than Spotlight.

M

MacInWin

Yep, chscag is correct. Spotlight inventories all your files and by default it includes those on all drives it can see. So to stop it seeing the copies on the CCC drive, open System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy and drag the CCC drive into the window to stop it searching it. All that will happen is Spotlight will now ignore the CCC drive. CCC works just as it did.

OP
scoocum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
Yep, chscag is correct. Spotlight inventories all your files and by default it includes those on all drives it can see. So to stop it seeing the copies on the CCC drive, open System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy and drag the CCC drive into the window to stop it searching it. All that will happen is Spotlight will now ignore the CCC drive. CCC works just as it did.

Okay, thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.