Help! Power surge due to weather!

Reaction score
We just had a power surge and my mac desktop wont turn on. Is all lost or will it be possible to repair the electrical / power supply? Any info is much appreciated....I'm freaking out!

C

chas_m

Depends. Was it plugged into a surge protector? If so, the surge protector (if it was doing its job) would have its OWN circuit blown in order to save what it was plugged into, so the first thing I'd do is check that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
We just had a power surge and my mac desktop wont turn on. Is all lost or will it be possible to repair the electrical / power supply? Any info is much appreciated....I'm freaking out!

Hi - I hope that Chas_M is correct, i.e. having at least a surge protector between your computer and wall socket - but even better yet is to invest in an UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) - I've used them for years (lot of electrical storms in the Carolinas) and posted on some options in this THREAD - take a look, if interested. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try unplugging from the mains for ten minutes, hook up and see what happens. If still no joy then alas no good news. UPS for me also. Not as upmarket as Dave's but get by with an iBox which Apple used to sell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.