How can I add a program to my "Open With..." List?

Reaction score
I want to add Adobe Bridge to the list when you right-click and select from the "Open With..." option, but am not sure how to do it. Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "right click" menu is maintained in your "Launch Services Database". You have to be able to modify that data base in order to add or remove items from it. It's best not to do it from terminal but use a utility that will make the mod. Let me see if I can find one for you...

I just looked over my copy of "MacPilot" which can rebuild and modify the Launch Services Database, however it's not a free app. I'll see if I can find a way for you to modify the database for free.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I dug around and could find nothing that would allow you to edit the "Launch Services" Data Base. Everything that I could find is directed toward developers - in other words, someone who is familiar with programming. As I stated above, MacPilot will rebuild the data base but on a closer look, that's all it will do. It won't allow adding new items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I want to add Adobe Bridge to the list when you right-click and select from the "Open With..." option, but am not sure how to do it. Any help?

Try this, goto the File/Folder/Application/ or whatever it is you want to open in Adobe Bridge (hopefully something with a certain extension) and then right click>Get info and in that window go down to the Application that it usually opens with then click Applications and change it to Adobe Bridge. Then you have the option to change this to All Similar to open in Adobe Bridge . .

I have had to do this with Editing some .m and .h files where i want to Edit them in Textastic, and when I've done this, it ends up in the contextual menu. . . Worth a try and won't hurt anything

OP
AJP24
Reaction score
Thanks TM. I'll give that a try with my .NEF files. Many thanks. (It would be nice if Apple gave us the option to add programs to the list in the future.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.