Macbook A1181

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Macbook A1181. I would like to sell it since I have replaced it with a new Macbook. My problem is that I do not have the original install DVD. I do have a copy of OS X Leopard which the computer is currently operating on. Can I use that to wipe the computer clean or should I pay for new install discs?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You could either use that OS 10.5 Leopard disk...or purchase an OS 10.6 Snow Leopard install disk from Apple:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Generally speaking...the newer the OS installed on a computer...the better it is for selling it. OS 10.6 Snow Leopard is a pretty good OS version to have installed on a 2007 MacBook. But I can totally understand if you didn't want to spend the extra $19.99 for the 10.6 disk.

Good luck with the sale,:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I'll stick with the Leopard since I've already got it handy. Would I follow the same steps that I normally would with the original install DVD?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks! I think I'll stick with the Leopard since I've already got it handy. Would I follow the same steps that I normally would with the original install DVD?

It's basically the same thing. But since your selling the computer...here's what I would do:

1. Obviously backup anything you want to keep first.
2. Insert the 10.5 disk.
3. Reboot the computer (press the C key to boot from the DVD).
4. Launch Disk Utility...and do a "Secure Erase" of the HD.
5. After the secure erase quit Disk Utility.
6. Install OS 10.5 following the onscreen prompts.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.