4.9 GB storage use on iPad?

Reaction score
My iPad shows 4.9 GB of storage use for mail. I think this may have to do with mail on my laptop. I only show 140 messages, have deleted all sent files, etc. how to find and delete this ridiculous amount of mail from my iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Statmanm - welcome to the forum! :) I'm assuming the 4.9 GB amount is coming from Settings > General > Usage? If not please check Mail storage there - also, you may want to provide the number of accounts setup in Mail, their type (i.e. IMAP vs. POP3), and whether you have iCloud on to sync your mail. If not already done, 'Reset' your iPad and then check Usage again - let us know the answers to the questions - good luck! Dave

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Dave, three accounts, one a G mail (IMAP) and the other Earthlink (not sure) and another POP Earthlink. I don't have iCloud psyncing with mail, though I do with other things.

If I reset, does that mean I am setting my iPad back to original settings and will need to start everything all over? Or is that a different operation?

Many thanks! Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave, three accounts, one a G mail (IMAP) and the other Earthlink (not sure) and another POP Earthlink. I don't have iCloud psyncing with mail, though I do with other things.

If I reset, does that mean I am setting my iPad back to original settings and will need to start everything all over? Or is that a different operation?

Hi Mark - boy, just don't see why three accounts should be using that much space (assume that is what Usage is stating on the iPad).

As to the 'Reset', see directions below if not familiar w/ the procedure; basically like 'hard boot' of the iPad (vs. a 'Restart') - this maneuver will do nothing to your apps, settings, or data - just might correct the usage reporting (or not?) - let us know. Dave :)

Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Dave, oh, sure I have done that, and the 4.9 GB is still there. The weird thing is that my iPhone is constantly downloading years of mails off my MacBook Pro and I am in a continual struggle to trash them. So I am guessing that is what could be happening here, but it is almost like an invisible folder. Because my mailboxes have very few messages in them. But finding that invisible space?
Many thanks! Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave, oh, sure I have done that, and the 4.9 GB is still there. The weird thing is that my iPhone is constantly downloading years of mails off my MacBook Pro and I am in a continual struggle to trash them. So I am guessing that is what could be happening here, but it is almost like an invisible folder. Because my mailboxes have very few messages in them. But finding that invisible space?

Hi again Mark - sorry, thought you had probably reset the iPad - since no harm is done always worth a try (but did not think that it would help - :()

Now that you mentioned a Gmail account, what iOS is on your iDevices? If iOS 7 (earliest versions), I remember an issue w/ that that mail client (I have a Yahoo account) - I now have iOS 7.0.4 on my iPad 2 - if not at that level, might want to update? Information HERE may help, if you think applicable. Finally, are you a member of the Ipadforums.net? - there is a lot of discussion of the iOS 7.x upgrade issues, especially regarding battery life & mail - I'm 'giradman' there - good luck! Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Dave, Yes I have 7.0.4 on my iPad and iPhone both. I will look into Ipadforums. This really has me stumped because the 4.9 GB is there but I can't figure out how to dump it. I wonder if it has something to do with synching between my MacBook Pro, my iPhone and the iPad 2. But why wouldn't the mails show in the mailboxes (at least then I could delete them)?

Thanks for your help. I wonder if I should bring it into a Genius Bar and see what they can tell me there.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave, Yes I have 7.0.4 on my iPad and iPhone both. I will look into Ipadforums. This really has me stumped because the 4.9 GB is there but I can't figure out how to dump it. I wonder if it has something to do with synching between my MacBook Pro, my iPhone and the iPad 2. But why wouldn't the mails show in the mailboxes (at least then I could delete them)?

Thanks for your help. I wonder if I should bring it into a Genius Bar and see what they can tell me there.

Hello Mark - sorry about your continual problem - :( Just got off the iPad Forums and saw that you left a post - one reply from Johanna who is quite active there - if you have not seen her reply, she suggests deleting your mail accounts and then setting each up again - kind of a pain but if you're willing, might want to start re-entering one at a time and checking for that 'hidden' storage issue; and maybe leaving syncing off - good luck! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I confess to being a little confused by you saying you're syncing with your MacBook Pro.

When you add an email account to your iPad it gets it's mail directly from your email provider. Independently, so does your MBP. You're iPad will be downloading/keeping emails based on the settings.

Go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars
Go into each account in turn.
Touch the Account email address at the top, then scroll to advanced.

In here you can determine how long you keep deleted mail, where you keep certain folders (server or iPad) and where deleted files go (trash or archive). Options vary depending on the email account itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.