Computer Freezing if update so cannot connect ipad to itunes

Reaction score
Hi

I recently plugged in ipad to my Macbook pro 3.1 (2007) running 10.8.2 - and get message cannot use ipad as need to update to Itunes 11.1 -
however this I cannot do - I tried 3 update to Mavericks , update just itunes and just yesterday again updated Itunes and these all FREEZE computer totally , I spent Days trying to work out what Caused the Freeze and trying every fix out there and only thing worked was Format HDD and install from Backup (timemachine or cloned HDD i have Backups) .
So the Computer Freezes Immediately After Startup in normal and safe mode if I put on Mavericks and OR itunes higher then what I got now (11.02 )
Now this is not a Problem for the computer - just turn off updates and I am happy , But now cannot use ipad , I have music , books, lots stuff sync from itunes .
Does anyone know how I can use Ipad3 (fully updated ) -with Itunes without updating Itunes - or maybe roll back Ipad system so can use ??
I had a google but could not find answer - everyone says update itunes on Computer which is one thing I cannot do .

So either I need to do a Update to Mavericks or just Itunes or something so can use ipad again ?

Any ideas appriciated as i cannot be only person with this Problem as Computer freezing with new itunes common ??

Thanks Mark

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think it's best to work on the problem with your computer first. It's not just iTunes or your iPad not being able to sync that's causing the freezing, it's very likely a hardware problem with your computer. You said that you formatted your hard drive and that solved the problem but only until you tried to update to Mavericks or update iTunes.

It's possible your hard drive may be failing so it's wise that you have been making backups. Here's what I suggest: Boot to your recovery partition and run Disk Utility verify and if necessary, repair the hard drive.

Hold down your command and r keys when you boot the machine. That will get you to recovery. From there select Utilities, and then Disk Utility.

OP
G
Reaction score
HI Chscag

Sorry maybe my post was confusing But bit hard to explain - HDD is fine not that old as upgraded it a year ago, and everything works fine on the computer - unless I do a Update then it freezes ,
I have done full recovery and put back on 10.8.2. it's definately not the HDD otherwise would not work with this Operating system

I have done extensive work trying to fix computer but seems many many people have a problem with Mavericks and or new Itunes freezing machine - Apple says can run Mavericks but i am happy not updating anymore but would like to use ipad which means i have to ..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.