Damaged System and Time Machine

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro (2007) running OS 10.6. I would run a newer system but for Apps that wouldn’t take them. Things that require those newer Apps I run on a MacBook Air from which I am writing this plea for help.Anyway, I had been backing everything up with Time Machine thinking that I could restore the system as well as Data and Apps from it.

So the last few days the Mac Pro has been doing things like being stuck in place upon startup—no action from mouse or keyboard, for instance. I unwisely figured I could just Restore, say, the Library folder to a time before the problem started and everything would be fine. Accordingly, I told Time Machine to do that and went off to have some dinner.

Upon return it told me that a folder named Core Services was already on the machine, so it couldn’t go any further. and when I clicked OK, the whole thing choked and when I restarted it, I got automatically thrown into my TechTools eDrive from which I can seemingly do nothing to tell my Time Machine to put anything onto the main drive.

In looking for a solution I seem to be getting this picture:

1) I have to restore the System from the original software.

2) I will probably have to reinstall the Apps from their originals, too.

3) I will be able to restore the data from Time Machine once I get the System reinstalled.

Assuming these three things, when I get reorganized, I may as well

1) only back up Documents in Time Machine and

2) back up the System and Apps in Carbon Copy Cloner from which I can reboot and reinstall the System in case of a similar event.

However, if the System goes bad again and has been backed up in its corrupted form, I will be reinstalling the corrupted system which will leave me just as screwed as I was before.

Do I have the correct picture here? Is there anything I've missed?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It sounds like you tried to restore /System/Library, which is something you absolutely shouldn't have done. /System should never ever ever be touched unless you know exactly what you are doing.

What you should do is reinstall OS X from scratch, then migrate your users and application over from the Time Capsule using Migration Assistant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As suggested format (erase) the hard drive and do a clean install and migrate applications over. Some larger applications such as MS office and Adobe may require re-activation with the key code or perhaps even re-installing as they do not migrate well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.