I think I hate the iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook MB061LL/A 13.3" 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive
Okay so I took the plunge and got a brand new iPhone 5c. I figured since I never had a smart phone before I should start with the iPhone, which would surely be more intuitive, user friendly, easy to learn etc. Right? Right?

Well, no.

**** no.

While I can more or less figure out the phone's most basic functions, getting it to do anything my 7 year old dumb phone couldn't do is a constant struggle, if not an exercise in frustration. The iPhone is NOT intuitive. Often it doesn't make sense at all. What good do all these powerful features do if I can't actually use them? It's starting to look like my shiny pretty new toy is really nothing more than a $500 paperweight.

Here are the major issues I'm having so far:

I can't type on it.
My hands are just too big for the tiny crowded buttons. I keep pressing the wrong key, especially between O and P. I can barely muddle through if I take two or three times longer than I really should.

Siri is worse than useless.
I have tried and tried and tried literally dozens of times to tell Siri what to do and it has not gotten it right even once. Not. Even. Close. Not even close! Not once. My accent is NOT that thick, usually it's barely noticeable. I'm actually quite articulate. Yes, it's awkward talking to a machine, especially such a brick stupid one, but I have an IQ of 135 and I've watched Star Trek since I was twelve :p. I should be able to figure this out. I know a guy who has an iPhone and he flat out gave up on Siri entirely and permanently. Another friend of mine has Google Now on his phone and has no trouble with it at all that I've seen.

Combine these two problems and they become one VERY BIG problem: I basically cannot input data into the phone. How can I use a device if I CAN"T INPUT? Seriously, ***?

Changing anything is an epic struggle
that usually involves calling tech support or an HOUR on Google looking for a fix or at least a workaround. That's right, Google has literally been more helpful in figuring out what little I have than Apple has. I can't get anything set up properly. Just setting up Mail at all was even harder than it was on the six year old Macbook (which is saying something) and I have to add contacts manually one at a time, which given the input issues is a serious pain. I can't get Siri to stop using Microsoft's shoddy Bing and always use Google instead. Stuff like that.

I can't do simple things
like attach files to an email. I have to bring up the app that generated the file, hunt down the file, then link that to an email and send the files one at a time.

No Caller ID?
Really? Really? On a $65/mo SMARTPHONE? Isn't this a basic general function of any phone these days? Seriously, ***?

And the kicker: NO MUSIC.
I am a HUGE music fan. Being able to play a tremendous selection of music anywhere anytime was THE #1 REASON I got a smartphone. Seriously. I consider Spotify and Pages the two most important apps of all. I never did get Spotify to work on the Macbook, only the web player, which is acceptable but far from ideal as it doesn't have the same functionality. I cannot get Spotify to work on the iPhone in any way shape or form. I cannot get ITUNES to work on the iPhone for crying out loud! I barely got Pandora to work at all which I guess is better than nothing but I'm paying $10/mo for Spotify Premium for a reason. Let me guess, Apple is messing with Spotify because they want us to pay triple for iTunes. Am I getting warm?

Last of all, why am I coming to you guys for help?
Oh yeah, because Apple's tech support has been totally useless. I can't even EMAIL them. They have a chat function where I can get canned platitudes but no real help or answers. Yeah they're rated as high in the biz but that's not saying much at all. Congratulations, you're better than some of the worst companies in human history. What do you want a cookie?

All this in a device that will be completely obsolete by the end of a two year contract, when I will just have to buy a new one.

And even Apple seems to be getting worse, not better. Five years ago I had my problems with iTunes for the PC but it usually worked, and my iPod nano always worked brilliantly. It was basic and simple and reliable. Once I got used to the controls (which took what, two hours?) it was perfect. I'm still sorry I lost it.

Why do we take this ******** from tech companies? We would NEVER in a million years tolerate this kind of un-usability and failure rate in ANY other essential piece of technology. But it's computers so we just shrug and say "what do you expect?" Well, I expect something that's ACTUALLY GOING TO WORK. That was the whole point of switching to Apple. No hunter would buy a rifle that had a 30% chance of exploding in his hand. When Ford's cars were crap people stopped buying them, and bought them again when quality improved. Why do we keep buying crap from Microsoft, Google, and Apple?

I shouldn't have to take a class to learn how to use a phone but there is an apple repair shop in town. I might see if they can teach me how to manipulate the stupid thing. Again, I really should be able to figure this out myself.

I've already asked CREDO if I can get my money back and if I don't see at least some improvement by Christmas I will. I'm sick of this nonsense.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've already asked CREDO if I can get my money back and if I don't see at least some improvement by Christmas I will. I'm sick of this nonsense.

All I can tell you is that there are literally millions of folks who own an iPhone including my wife who seem to be able to use it quite well. My wife knows next to nothing about electronic devices and has no problem using her iPhone. And yes, she plays music and a number of other things on it.

I'm not telling you this to belittle you in any way. Some folks just have a hard time changing over to something new and different. The bottom line is either take the time and patience to learn how to use it or do as you said above, get your money back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
You can always switch to an Android smart phone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First and foremost, you have a 14 day return policy with Apple devices, if it doesn't fit your needs, you should exercise that quickly and get your money back..

Next, are you typing on the keyboard in portrait or landscape mode? Try to see if you can make do with the keyboard in landscape, if not, there is little you can do about that.

I just got an iPhone 5S and this is the first iPhone that I have with Siri on it, so I can't yet comment on how well it's going to work. My wife has the iPhone 5 and has really been enjoying the use of Siri. But again, you don't like it or don't find it useful, don't use it.

Changing stuff on iOS is trivial, so ask about specific things and we can help. Setting up mail to the most common services like GMail, Hotmail, Oulook, Yahoo or Exchange is very simple and straightforward.

As far as Contacts go, you're better of setting it up in iCloud or Google contacts and sync'ing them to your iPhone..

Not sure what you mean about Caller id..do you not need the number of the person calling you?

Spotify and Pandora work like a charm on the iPhone, it's just a matter of installing the app, signing into your account and listening to music. With iOS 7, you also have the option of iTunes Radio..

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook MB061LL/A 13.3" 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive
All I can tell you is that there are literally millions of folks who own an iPhone including my wife who seem to be able to use it quite well. My wife knows next to nothing about electronic devices and has no problem using her iPhone. And yes, she plays music and a number of other things on it.

I'm not telling you this to belittle you in any way. Some folks just have a hard time changing over to something new and different. The bottom line is either take the time and patience to learn how to use it or do as you said above, get your money back.

I built computers for two years, including super computing clusters. I'm no engineer but it's not like I know nothing about computers. I should be able to figure this out.

It's not just the iPhone, it's every Apple product I've ever used except that old iPod. That was the only time they ever delivered on their promises, and even then there was the absurd 5 device limit, and Spotify still blew iTunes away in almost every conceivable way.

After over 20 years of taking abuse from Microsoft I was ready to jump at anything that looked like a solution. Apple is going to find a lot of people in my situation over the next year or two, but they are NOT winning us over, at least not me. Instead of seizing the opportunity presented by Microsoft's implosion Apple just shrugs and says "well all we have to do is be better than that we're golden" and they get lazy. They charge an 80% markup for underpowered closed architecture in a pretty chassis and logo. Because they can. They say they're user friendly. Compared to what? Linux Write Code Just to Do Anything? A multimedia TV setup with 3 or 4 remotes that don't apparently do anything? Smashwords? Microsoft Water Torture?

Yes I'm old, but I have adapted to practically every major technological advance in my lifetime, even if I've always been a late adopter. I never truly master anything but I figure it out well enough to use it, and usually pretty quickly. I've figured out everything from email to Twitter, word processing to World of Warcraft. I should be able to figure this out. I should have by now already.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can always switch to an Android smart phone.

Which would probably be even worse. The compatibility issues alone are tremendous. No matter which phone you buy half the apps you want don't work for it and there might not even be any way to know until you've spent the money downloaded it and watched it crash. Then all the different hardware built to basically no unifying standard . . . ugh. Androids are like little touchscreen PCs that obsolesce twice as fast.

It's possible that the S4 is the lesser evil, but I'm sick and tired of being faced with that choice in almost every facet of life. I just want something good for once.

I just want the **** thing to work. Why is that so hard? I thought that was Apple's forte, their competitive advantage. Apparently it's not actually that but rather a loyal fan base that they aren't even interested in growing for some reason.

Spaceballs Escape Pod Scene [HD] - YouTube

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 iMac I7 3.4, 1 TB Fusion, 2 gigs Video, 24 gigs Ram, Yosemite 10.10.2
I only know one thing for sure. The knowledge base on these forums are unlimited. If you can take the time and give these people acturate information as to your problems, someone here will come up with an answer.

While I don't post a lot, I take a few moments to read the new posts every day, because I'm new to mac also. I've been a windows user for years, and started my smartphone with an android. Then I took the plunge to an first generation iPod touch, then slowly made the conversion. I've found that it's different, not impossible.

A little bit on Siri with me. I've found that I must have one of those voices that "voice recognition software just has a hard time with. I have had the same problem with Dragon, Microsoft Sync, and Siri. So I can't blame it on Siri. That's frustrating to me, it's just how I talk.

I think if you give it time, you'll love it and everyone here will be willing to help you.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First and foremost, you have a 14 day return policy with Apple devices, if it doesn't fit your needs, you should exercise that quickly and get your money back..

I'll see what Credo has to say though I might not hear from them until Monday.

Next, are you typing on the keyboard in portrait or landscape mode? Try to see if you can make do with the keyboard in landscape, if not, there is little you can do about that.

Then I have a much smaller viewing area. So my choice is can't type or can't see?

I just got an iPhone 5S and this is the first iPhone that I have with Siri on it, so I can't yet comment on how well it's going to work. My wife has the iPhone 5 and has really been enjoying the use of Siri. But again, you don't like it or don't find it useful, don't use it.

1) I have to use it because I can't type.
2) It's a key feature of the iPhone, a MAJOR selling point, what they show off in all the commercials, something I'm paying for, something that is supposed to be a reason to use the iPhone as opposed to anything else. Instead it's the opposite. I absolutely should be able to use it.

Changing stuff on iOS is trivial, so ask about specific things and we can help. Setting up mail to the most common services like GMail, Hotmail, Oulook, Yahoo or Exchange is very simple and straightforward.

As far as Contacts go, you're better of setting it up in iCloud or Google contacts and sync'ing them to your iPhone..

No. No, it's not, at least not on the version of iOS I have. It's not at all easy, obvious or even consistent.

For starters, WHY did it import some of my contacts but not others? I have Mail synched to my Yahoo and Gmail accounts but I'm having all of the same problems I had with Mail on the Macbook and more.

Not sure what you mean about Caller id..do you not need the number of the person calling you?

***? Sorry, but just. . . what?

Caller ID. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID Is that not a thing anymore? Since when? The guy at Credo didn't seem to know what I was talking about either.

I mean that when someone calls me I should be able to see who is calling, whether they're in my contacts or not. Come on. With as much data mining as there is these days this should be simple. Gmail remembers everyone who has ever emailed me or vice versa and almost always tells me an actual name. So why can't the phone? Caller ID was introduced what 30 years ago? There have been refinements since and there are ways around it, but still- I can't just see whether it's the car dealer or a telemarketer calling before I answer? Really? Really? Seriously?

Spotify and Pandora work like a charm on the iPhone, it's just a matter of installing the app, signing into your account and listening to music. With iOS 7, you also have the option of iTunes Radio..

No. No they don't. Pandora works sort of. It will at least play but it does not have full functionality. Spotify lets me log in and will play songs I search for but all of my playlists, starred and saved music, all of it is totally 100% gone. Just.... inexplicably gone. Every last song. Not there at all. All that stuff shows up in Spotify on the PC, the Kindle, the web player on the Macbook, but not for the iPhone. Also it starts playing "artist radio" for no apparent reason. ITunes won't let me download any of the music I've purchased, even though I have not yet hit the 5 device limit (which is actually a form of THEFT anyway and completely STUPID in an era when devices obsolesce in 2 bloody years). It will play its radio function, but that's inferior to Pandora in most respects. It's really Spotify I want to use, and that's borked, and their idea of "support" is to basically make the users do it themselves with nothing more than a forum. (That's really the only thing I don't like about Spotify.) If I can get Spotify working then all I will need is something that can play what they don't have like most of the Rollins Band and King Crimson albums, whether that's iTunes or not. Most of that I own already.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just a few observations.
My hands are just too big for the tiny crowded buttons. I keep pressing the wrong key, especially between O and P. I can barely muddle through if I take two or three times longer than I really should.
That's going to be any smartphone unless you buy a gigantic one. If you want space to type, the iPhone is not your best bet as they are on the small side.

I can't do simple things
like attach files to an email. I have to bring up the app that generated the file, hunt down the file, then link that to an email and send the files one at a time.
This is just a different way of doing things and not necessarily a fault.

No Caller ID?
Really? Really? On a $65/mo SMARTPHONE? Isn't this a basic general function of any phone these days? Seriously, ***?
That has everything to do with your carrier and nothing to do with the phone.

And the kicker: NO MUSIC.
I am a HUGE music fan. Being able to play a tremendous selection of music anywhere anytime was THE #1 REASON I got a smartphone. Seriously. I consider Spotify and Pages the two most important apps of all. I never did get Spotify to work on the Macbook, only the web player, which is acceptable but far from ideal as it doesn't have the same functionality. I cannot get Spotify to work on the iPhone in any way shape or form. I cannot get ITUNES to work on the iPhone for crying out loud! I barely got Pandora to work at all which I guess is better than nothing but I'm paying $10/mo for Spotify Premium for a reason. Let me guess, Apple is messing with Spotify because they want us to pay triple for iTunes. Am I getting warm?
iTunes works without little configuration. What happened when you tried?

We would NEVER in a million years tolerate this kind of un-usability and failure rate in ANY other essential piece of technology. But it's computers so we just shrug and say "what do you expect?" Well, I expect something that's ACTUALLY GOING TO WORK. That was the whole point of switching to Apple. No hunter would buy a rifle that had a 30% chance of exploding in his hand. When Ford's cars were crap people stopped buying them, and bought them again when quality improved. Why do we keep buying crap from Microsoft, Google, and Apple?
Have you considered that this is a personal preference and not a universal condition? You're venting to a group of people who like Apple products, something that should suggest that they do work for us.

Which would probably be even worse. The compatibility issues alone are tremendous. No matter which phone you buy half the apps you want don't work for it and there might not even be any way to know until you've spent the money downloaded it and watched it crash.]
As someone who owns many Android devices and develops for them, I can tell you that this couldn't be further from the truth. Compatibility is not as big an issue as you might think. There are only two reasons that an app won't install: you're outside of the available regions (something that happens on every app store that I know of) or you're trying to install an app that won't work for obvious reasons (like installing a telephony app on a tablet). As for backwards support, the first app I saw (something that is consistent amongst most) supports Android back to 2.2, a version that is 3.5 years old. I have to wonder if you've ever used an Android device for any length of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
1.)Using landscape for typing works ok for me and I am not good at typing.

2.)Siri seems to work great as long as i don't try to talk to fast your results can vary do to accent and speed.

3.)Give this forum a try on trouble shooting lots of knowledgeable posters.

4.)As for files I find iWork migrates well to all my Apple products since they went out of the way to overhaul it for the iPad/iPhone to Mac.

5.)iTunes should work like a breeze on all your Apple gear if not again ask a question in the forum.

6.) Using a third party application on any OS will have mixed results.

7.) Caller ID can be turned off on any smartphone if I want mine not to show I can simply go to settings and do so or ask Siri to turn off Caller ID.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) It does make typing a little easier but that takes up most of the screen and then I can't really see anything.

2) I've tried literally over 30 times. Siri cannot understand anything I say no matter how I vary my speech. Like I said it has NEVER ONCE come EVEN CLOSE to what I actually said.

3) I'm sure there are but much of the point of switching to Apple was to get something that would Just Work and not have to be wrestled into submission with tips and tricks or hacks from experts. I should be able to figure this out. It's ridiculous that I can't.

4) I'm using an old Macbook with Pages 09 and I am NOT going to use iWork in any capacity on a tiny little screen I can't even type on. That's absurd.

5) It tells me the phone has synched with iTunes on the Macbook, but it will not port ANY of the music over. Not one song. There's 4 gb of something on the phone (1/4 of its HDD) but it's apparently not music.

6) That's absurd. No matter how tightfisted Apple's vertical integration, they have to allow at least some third party software. Unless they want to build their own separate internet. If I can't get Spotify to work on this thing that is a deal breaker right there, period. That is NOT negotiable.

7) I want it turned on not off. I asked Siri to turn it on and it failed. Again.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried the suggestions as to things I can tell Siri. I spoke the suggested phrases VERBATIM. It still completely failed.

It did give me its first relatively coherent answer though. I said "Siri you are completely ****ing useless." and it said "I'll pretend I didn't hear that." which did give me quite a laugh.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just realized- I can't even turn the thing off. I can put it into sleep mode but not off, so it's still burning the battery and might be trouble for an airplane or even a movie theater if I ever take it off of vibrate. If I could figure out how to do that either. Crimony.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
6. Spotify working or not working has everything to do with Spotify and nothing to do with the iPhone. If the app is not working - contact Spotify. If the Spotify app is missing functionality, contact Spotify and request the added functionality you want in the app.

7. Incoming Caller ID is either a feature that is on or off from your mobile carrier, whether that be AT&T, Verizon or whomever. There is no way to turn that on/off on your phone.

What you and everyone else can do, is turn on/off Outgoing caller ID from their phone.

That is what you can turn on/off - so that your ID does/does not appear to others.
So anyone that has turned off their Outgoing Caller ID will prevent you from seeing their ID.
Has nothing to do with the phone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not all of the knowledge that our "experts" here know about is in the form of "hacks". Many times the answer can be as simple as a step that was skipped or a setting that was missed. Errors which happen on occasion to even experienced users.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough, but it doesn't look like I'll get any help from the carrier until Monday at least and Spotify who knows. Like I said I never got it working on the Macbook at all, other than the web player. They might not even have a solution ever. It's not like their programmers are incompetent, they just don't have good customer support and it looks like OSX and iOS are VERY hostile to apps that compete with Apple products.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you need to power the phone completely off push the button at the top of the phone (across from the headphone jack) and hold it for a few seconds. A message appears on screen. Follow the one step direction.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly: This is not some small snafu on some particular issue. This is total systemic failure.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And now these very forums are acting up, even on the PC. Great.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's not like their programmers are incompetent, they just don't have good customer support and it looks like OSX and iOS are VERY hostile to apps that compete with Apple products.
This is borderline conspiratorial. iOS is not designed to act like a virus and inhibit the operation of other apps that compete with Apple. If that were the case, we'd know by now (it would be hard to tell) and I imagine that Apple would have been hit with a major competition lawsuit.

I think it's important to contextualize things. If there are things you don't prefer, so be it. If things don't work but they do for everyone else, it might be worth asking why instead of just blaming Apple. The fact that you're having difficulty turning it off, something people do all the time, suggests that maybe you just got a bad phone or haven't taken the time to learn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.