2.0 vs 2.16?

X

Xx620xX

300 bux for a little upgrade? Or is more significant than I'm really looking into?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
No, you are correct. It is a horrendously overpriced, yet minimal upgrade.
Just get the 2.0Ghz and you will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
My guess is the 2.16 GHz parts are rare, so they're charging more for them. Supply and demand: if you absolutely must have the absolute fastest thing on the block, it'll cost you dearly.

Suggest you save your money and temper your ego.

OP
X

Xx620xX

Well, what would you guys suggest? It's 250 ish from 1.83->2.0 and 250 ish for 2.0->2.18 ... so 1.83 should be alright? or should i go up to the 2.0?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, that would depend on what you plan on doing with it.

If you are planning on using intense, professional-grade apps (ie: Image editors, illustrator apps, complex graphics programs, video production... etc.) on a DAILY basis with HEAVY use, then the MacBook would be a good choice. The amount of work you do would dictate what speed would be best.

If your needs are the basics that most people use computers for, (internet, word processing, email, chat, music...etc) then the MacBook is overkill anyway, no matter what speed you choose. Even if you plan on using something like Photoshop or Final Cut on an occassional day or so..your needs are still basic. If your needs are basic and you really want a Mac laptop, then the iBook would suit you fine.

Reaction score
if you are trying to do the intense work... i would even suggest a powerbook 15 inch.. remember rossetta aint that great. rumor has it that adobe wont be releasing any universal software til 07

OP
A

AlexN

I actually called Apple to order the upgrade, but the rep told me that I would have to wait another 2 to 4 weeks from Feb28, so I didn't do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I think the extra $250-$300 would be more well spent on RAM. You could get another gig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
This is the way it's always been in the Windows world when configuring a computer. I remember playing around with the hardware configuration utilities on companies' online stores and seeing that last CPU upgrade being horrendously expensive. It;s the premium you pay for wanting to have that absolute latest cutting-edge technology, which will go down in price in a month anyway with a CPU 0.16 GHz faster taking its place as the horrendously overpriced upgrade. I actually wonder whether this means Apple will be offering all the latest Intel chips as they come (like Windows PC manufacturers), rather than waiting for major revision upgrades to do that (like they have in the past).

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
Well actually to be honest it is entirely personal preferance I have ordered the 1.83 and also the 2.16 first for my wife and the latter for me. I simply like having the best at the moment. I know it will get updated and when it does I will buy the best version again.

It has been argued by others that if you need it you will pay. I dont know but personaly I think the ram would make more differace more then the extra speed.

OP
G

gonzea

Hey Guys ,
I have been reading posts here for a while and actually just got the new powerbook 17inch last week because of you guys. My point is I need the 17 in screen and no matter how fast the macbook pro is it still only has a 15.4inch screen , which is not enough for me. That is#1 for me. I got the 1.67 /120. I also installed 2 gigs myself (took 1 minute). My machine is ultr-fast I just installed 10.4.5 from 10.4.3 . Im glad I didn't get a macbook pro. Although I will probably buy one when the 17 inch comes out.

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
gonzea said:
Hey Guys ,
I have been reading posts here for a while and actually just got the new powerbook 17inch last week because of you guys. My point is I need the 17 in screen and no matter how fast the macbook pro is it still only has a 15.4inch screen , which is not enough for me. That is#1 for me. I got the 1.67 /120. I also installed 2 gigs myself (took 1 minute). My machine is ultr-fast I just installed 10.4.5 from 10.4.3 . Im glad I didn't get a macbook pro. Although I will probably buy one when the 17 inch comes out.

I too hav ethe same machine but with the faster HDD and yes it shifts but I like the fact that I can use the remote and nexr most importantly I can us ethe isight to chat to my wife via video when abroad using amsn. So i ordered one. Also I like to have all teh new toys.

You will ove your powerbook I love mine for screen real esate alone makes it worth while. yes it is fast for all I need as weel, basic web, word and email and chat and itunes of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.