Help- Speaker popping on MacBook Pro 2011

Reaction score
When I play any sort of audio on my Mac, including youtube, iTunes, etc., I get an annoying constant popping in the speakers for the duration of the audio. I have determined that it is not the audio tracks themselves. I am running OSX Mavericks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First guess would be an external electronic device causing interference. Unplug and move all external devices away from the Mac and see if it goes away. Then you can move them back one at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Most likely it's a loose wire or faulty speakers. If these are external speakers, I'd recommend changing the cable if possible. If they are internal speakers, then you likely need service.

Given the range of software/services you are having this with, I'm hard-pressed to think it could be a software issue, however I just did a bit of googling and it's not unheard of. I'm going to post links to a couple discussions elsewhere with various tips and solutions.

iMac speakers crackling after Mavericks...: Apple Support Communities
Audio Popping Issue caused by 'Automatic graphic switching' ON.. - MacRumors Forums
Audio Popping after Lion Upgrade: Apple Support Communities
Has anyone else experienced tinny/poor audio quality after updating to Mavericks? : apple

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.