Suggestions for trouble shooting?

Reaction score
So my 2009 MBP has been acting weird lately.

Almost every time I put it to sleep, it won't go to sleep, so I open it later and the battery has drained down to 0%.

Today, twice I closed it and the battery didn't drain, but it didn't start up like usual. Instead, it started up as if the battery was drained, with the greyish screen and the bars on the bottom slowly going white (I don't know how to explain that. It's the countdown mechanism when you drain the whole battery) until it is fully operational.

Then, 5 minutes ago, it just suddenly shut off.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting? I'm going to reset the SMC. Any other thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Resetting the SMC should be the first step. If that doesn't help, you might want to download the free coconutBattery 2.8 from here and let it analyze your battery.

OP
O
Reaction score
I reset SMC. But i have the same problem that I put my computer in sleep but instead of quickly waking it, it woke up slowly as if the battery had drained out with the bars slowly filling in white on the bottom. That said, the battery was fine once fully booted. Ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Next step is to run Disk Utility and verify your hard drive. You didn't mention which version of OS X you're running... so it will either be from your startup disk or recovery partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you run from Recovery or the OS X.6 DVD?

OP
O
Reaction score
I ran it from Disc Utility. I dont have the discs on me this second. Should I try to do that instead?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.