Ignorant I am...

Reaction score
I'm about to switch to Mac, but still undecided on which to get. Anyway I'm going to try and ask this without sounding like an idiot! I know that PC's run are based on data and Dos programing. And that Macs from what I've been told are on something totally different. Every Mac owner I know doesn't have a virus or spyware protection program and they don't worry about any of it. I own a PC with all that protection and I still get viruses, etc. With the new intel duo will that Mac still run on the same programing that it did in the past with the powerbooks, etc.?

P.S. How long should I wait before getting the pro? Also I read somewhere in another thread that made me think there is new type of ibook coming out. Any one know anything? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
VeritasCCT said:
I'm about to switch to Mac, but still undecided on which to get. Anyway I'm going to try and ask this without sounding like an idiot! I know that PC's run are based on data and Dos programing. And that Macs from what I've been told are on something totally different. Every Mac owner I know doesn't have a virus or spyware protection program and they don't worry about any of it. I own a PC with all that protection and I still get viruses, etc. With the new intel duo will that Mac still run on the same programing that it did in the past with the powerbooks, etc.?

P.S. How long should I wait before getting the pro? Also I read somewhere in another thread that made me think there is new type of ibook coming out. Any one know anything? Thanks.
Macs are immune to all viruses so far because of the OS, not the hardware. The Intel macs still use mac OS X, based on UNIX. No worries there. If I were you, I'd wait as long as I could before buying the computer, because that's my general advice when people ask when they should buy a new computer. Buy it for when you need it. As for the MacBook non-Pro's, no one really knows for sure but I assume it'll happen relatively soon. Watch out for Core Solo-equipped MacBooks or even Core Duo-equipped MacBooks when the MacBook Pro gets the Merom chip.

OP
V
Reaction score
Merom chip? This is the first time of heard of that. Please explain. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Discerptor said:
Macs are immune to all viruses so far because of the OS, not the hardware.

NO computer or OS is immune to viruses. Just because there currently aren't any for OS X, does not mean that there couldn't be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
VeritasCCT said:
Merom chip? This is the first time of heard of that. Please explain. Thanks for the help.
Merom is a more advanced Core Duo with hyperthreading. And more importantly, it is a 64-bit chip. Intel is set to release those the middle of this year if I'm not mistaken.

And D3v1L80Y, I said immune SO FAR, as in immune to all viruses that have been developed as of today. I didn't mean to imply that no OS would ever be able to affect OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.