Mail issue Gmail

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question regarding the integrated Mail software and Gmail.

A few years back I've been using one e-mail account for private usage and one for work purpose. Since I quit my job this summer I deleted the work account from my Mail. Believing this would delete everything associated wirh this account I keeper on as usual until I today ran the software "WhatSize" to figure out why my hard drive is close to full without really knowing why… I found out that I have about 65GB of old work e-mails still hidden in my computer…

I managed to locate them, and they are in Library -> Mail -> INBOX.mbox

I first thought of deleting this whole folder or everything in it, but I checked the info about the folder and it said it was last used in this very last second. So Im afraid I will delete stuff from my personal account which would not be very good since Im in need of tracking old e-mails pretty often.

However, would it be fine to delete all it's content? Was this INBOX.mbox just for my old work mail?
There's also another INBOX.mbox in another folder called IMAP-"my-email-address". Is this where my private e-mails are?

Sorry if all of the above sounds confusing, but hope you will be able to help out!

Very Best,
//Pierre

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If your accounts are both gmail accounts all your mail will be held online. You can easily check this by logging into the gmail web interface.

Once your happy your personal email account is all present and correct on the web you can use the same web interface to delete your old work account.

Once that's done rename the mbox files to inbox.mobox.old (or similar) and move them to a different folder. This is just so you have them backed up until you are 100% happy you end up with what you want.

Now start mail and delete all accounts. Close and restart mail. No add your personal gmail back in. It will bring all your mail back down from the web.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.