Screen with marks

Reaction score
What can be done about the screen if marks (are blue on desktop and turns yellow when in finder window, and increases in yellow when dragging
window) come on the screen. They are yellow or blue and increase in amount when dragging the window. I installed different software, so it is not related to os. i am using powerbook g4 with 10.5.8. thank you

p.s. please see the printscreen attached.

Picture 2.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The fact that you are seeing this issue on a screen capture is usually indicative of a failing graphic card. Does it happen immediately after power-on or does it happen after some time? If the latter, it might heat related..

Either way, not sure there is a fix you can do..

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the answer. It happens immediately after power-on. Even when loading in Open Firmware environment (starting holding apple+alt+o+f keys) there are strange patterns, similar to those yellow, just black. it seems like some small letter/numbers, like a code. You might be very right with the reason of failing graphic card. is it possible to test that somehow and then if it is the reason, to change the card or is it all-in-one setup?

The fact that you are seeing this issue on a screen capture is usually indicative of a failing graphic card. Does it happen immediately after power-on or does it happen after some time? If the latter, it might heat related..

Either way, not sure there is a fix you can do..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
is it possible to test that somehow and then if it is the reason, to change the card or is it all-in-one setup?

Graphics hardware is integrated...and thus not replaceable. If you want to be 100% sure that the problem is NOT software or OS related...boot the computer from an OS install disk.

If you still get the problem while booting from a OS install disk (DVD)...then it's a hardware issue.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
thank you for the answer. I am sure it is not software or apps or programs, since both 10.4 and now 10.5 shows the same. also, just before booting in the Open Firmware environment i see similar black marks/patterns/dots/symbols, just in certain different areas. Since in open firmware environment i can only write with keyboard, they are stable and not moving, while after loading in normal environment a move creates increases decreases these marks. It seems that graphic card indeed could be responsible for this and maybe i should search for some drivers to update. Is graphic card also responsible for images in the Open Firmware environment?

Graphics hardware is integrated...and thus not replaceable. If you want to be 100% sure that the problem is NOT software or OS related...boot the computer from an OS install disk.

If you still get the problem while booting from a OS install disk (DVD)...then it's a hardware issue.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The graphics card is responsible for all graphical output at all stages of the boot path. I doubt a software update is going to get this resolved however. It might be time to start looking/saving for a new Mac..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am sure it is not software or apps or programs, since both 10.4 and now 10.5 shows the same.

Well that's good & bad. Good that you definitely know that it's not software/OS related. But bad...since if it is hardware related...then it is not repairable. You must replace the logic board with a working one...which may be cost prohibitive relative to the value of the computer.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
thank you everyone for answers and a great quick discussion. that was exactly what i needed - to find out options. i guess i will just stay with existing screen, since indeed replacing logic board would be expensive. on the other hand, i know what to look for if there will be sudden opportunity to acquire one cheaply. thanks everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.