Email tracking for a MAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 2.5 ghz I5 8g OS X Mavericks : iMac 27" Late 2012
I looked for this topic prior to posting. Sorry if I may have missed it.
I have a few people I send emails to on a regular basic that say that they did not see or open an email from me. I find this hard to believe since these individuals are tech savvy folks and live inside their email client. I am willing to pay for an email tracker application or code that will either confirm or deny that these emails are being opened. I know that direct marketing companies have this ability. Any ideas ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What you want is "delivery and read confirmation". The problem with this is that it's not implemented universally. Even if you got an email client that supported it, the people you send to may not have an email client that supports it. Even if they did, in many cases that feature can be disabled.

Direct marketing companies manage this by embedding HTML code that has a referer id tied to each recipient's email address. Or something like that. The recipient clicks on a link with that code and BAM! They know who clicked it. I think the same thing can happen if you allow your email client to load remote images. This is all a highly automated process and not something you will find in consumer email software.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is all a highly automated process and not something you will find in consumer email software.

Thanks. I had a guy call me 10 minutes after I opened an email that he sent me and wanted to know what I thought of his proposal. He told me he saw that I opened it and I did not even click a link within it.

I would love to have the same technology. I will ask him what he used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks. I had a guy call me 10 minutes after I opened an email that he sent me and wanted to know what I thought of his proposal. He told me he saw that I opened it and I did not even click a link within it.

I would love to have the same technology. I will ask him what he used.

In that case, what you are using now supports read confirmation (receipts). What are you using?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case, what you are using now supports read confirmation (receipts). What are you using?

The email host is from Smarter Tools called Smarter mail. I send from my Mac mail and have it default to leave through Smarter mail. I do use gmail and yahoo but those accounts aren't for work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.