Mac Mail Offline PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
I am on an old imac Dual core running OSX 10.6.8 and Mail 4.6

Mail has been asking for my password a lot in the last few days. Now, for 2 days, it keeps going offline.

I have tried so many fixes that I am no longer sure if my settings/preferences are correct.

is there a place that will tell me what should be in the fields? ie "IMAP Path Prefix" or "Port" or "Incoming Mail Server" or whether "Use SSL" should be checked??

I can go on internet and get my mail on the office PC and through the web site for optimum and aol (I have 2 accounts).

I really need help!

Reaction score
Normally your network provider should give you the standard email settings. If you're using outlook.com here are my setting example.
Mail Preference/Accounts
Desc Outlook
Email Addres [email protected]
Fullname yourname
Incoming Mail Server pop3.live.com
Username [email protected]
Password **************
Outgoing Mail Serv outlook.com
tick use only this server
on the top click enable this account
Click on Advance box
tick
tick
Port 995 tick use SSL
Authentication Password.

Hope this helps and see if these setting look similar to your provider requirements.

OP
T
Reaction score
I am using aol for mail (work account)

The incoming mail server says: imap.aol.com
Outgoing mail: smtp.aol.com

Under Advanced there is nothing in the field that says: IMAP Path Prefix and the Port says: 993

Should I change it to 995?

OP
T
Reaction score
I can't get any of the accounts to go online. I have 2 accounts aol for work and optonline.net for personel

Reaction score
Do you still have the emails in your inbox that are important. save them in a separate folder below.
Are you able access the webmail account on your own mac.
As sometimes their server could be down or flaky hence the need for password authentication flashing up.
If you have managed to access to the webmail okay on the mac then 3/4 okay there.
Mail setting as mentioned normally provided by the Network provider.
Simple method is to start a fresh by deleting the original account that causing the problem and add a new version of the original setting provided.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you leadfoot!! I deleted the mailbox and created a new one and it worked!

OP
T
Reaction score
CRAP!! I got all my mail yesterday, but just realized that nothing sent! and now I can't send any mail, from either account!! WTH?

Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.