Bluetooth Not Available

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that someone can help with a problem. I have a 2009 Macbook Pro 17" running 10.9 and last night the bluetooth disappeared. I had an issue with the SSD in my macbook and swapped it out, and when I switched it back on the bluetooth wasn't working. It seems to be running ok otherwise.

i have a zigzag line going through the bluetooth icon on the menu bar. I Googled the "Bluetooth not available" message the menu bar icon give me, and theres a lot of info and recommendations to reset the SMC and the PRAM.

I've tried to reset both but the PRAM reset won't work !! CMD / ALT / P & R together, but it just boots as normal. I've checked the buttons and they all work. The SMC seems to reset because the magsafe led changed colour when I let the keys go.

The bluetooth option in system prefs has disappeared and the bluetooth exchange app says I have no bluetooth hahaha

I've tried lots of different things that I'll try to remember and list below

SMC reset
PRAM reset doesn't seem to work
Deleted - com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and restarted (Found a recommendation for that online)
Repaired Permissions with disk utility - Lots of repairs needed, then restarted but still not working
Reinstalled from Time Machine both most recent and old
Clean installed Mavericks - Same issue
Clean installed Mountain Lion - Same issue
Clean installed Leopard - Bluetooth was completely missing from OS

It seems that this happens to a lot of people, but the SMC reset sorts it for them ! Just not me !

I called Apple and I have an appointment with the Genius bar in 10 days, but I was hoping someone could help now.

Many thanks

J

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some things to try:

Open your Systems Information app (Applications, Utilities) and look at the hardware list by clicking the arrow downward. You should see Bluetooth listed. Is it there?

Next: Break out your Leopard set and run the Apple Hardware Test. Let's see what it says and if it reports anything about BT.

Ten days to get an Apple Genius appointment? Just grab your MBP and walk in, chances are you'll get to the genius bar with no appointment. As long as it isn't a Saturday or Sunday!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for helping

In the system info for bluetooth it says - No information found

I ran the hardware test and it said - No trouble found

I tried reseting the PRAM again as it was shutdown and it did it this time !! but didn't help lol

One thing I've just notice and Ive no idea if it was like this before but if I push a key and keep my finger down then it does that character once not multiple times like this hhhhhhhhhhh I just get h. If that makes sense !!

Im sure I used to get hhhhh from a hold before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
One thing I've just notice and Ive no idea if it was like this before but if I push a key and keep my finger down then it does that character once not multiple times like this hhhhhhhhhhh I just get h. If that makes sense !!

Im sure I used to get hhhhh from a hold before.

I can't remember past Mountain Lion, but Mavericks 10.9 and 10.8 if you hold down say "s" key you get 3 options to choose from, which is is essentially like in iOS and you get to choose fro ß ś š and you can do this with A,E,I,O,U and many other keys, so NO you didn't have that before . .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In the system info for bluetooth it says - No information found

It appears your BT radio quit. Try once more to reset the System Management Controller. Make sure you're doing it correctly - follow the Apple instructions direct from their KB article.

If that doesn't work, like I said above take it to your local Apple store as a walk in to the genius bar. If they have an opening, they'll squeeze you in. Otherwise wait until your appointment.

As for the hardware test, that's about par for the course. There's a lot of things it doesn't pick up on.

OP
S
Reaction score
I can't remember past Mountain Lion, but Mavericks 10.9 and 10.8 if you hold down say "s" key you get 3 options to choose from, which is is essentially like in iOS and you get to choose fro ß ś š and you can do this with A,E,I,O,U and many other keys, so NO you didn't have that before . .

Thanks for clearing that up for me

OP
S
Reaction score
I may have found the issue, but I want to run it by others first ....

I opened the back up again this mooring to see if anything obvious was wrong, but then I don't know what Im doing so didn't investigate very hard. I did notice though that a cable that goes to what I think is the Bluetooth module / radio thing is very loose.

This one (Taken from fixit and comedy arrow added)

mac.jpg

The cable going into the metal connector is very flimsy and feels like it would break if I looked at it to hard !!! Could this the problem ?

I've found a "Macbook Unibody 17" iSight cable" in the US that looks like its the one that would replace this. Its not that expensive and postage to the UK is ok, but I want to see what you guys thought before I spend any money on this.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone have any thoughts on this cable connection being the issue ??

It doesn't leave you with much choice.... Change the cable to find out if it was the issue, if it isn't, then it's pretty much like we said above = your BT radio quit. I'm not sure if you can replace that module on your Mac as it may be integrated to the logic board.

OP
S
Reaction score
It doesn't leave you with much choice.... Change the cable to find out if it was the issue, if it isn't, then it's pretty much like we said above = your BT radio quit. I'm not sure if you can replace that module on your Mac as it may be integrated to the logic board.

Thanks. I'll order and change the cable.

Is the BT radio known by another name ? because I can't find one ! Is it the back box that attaches to the optical drive and has that same connection pictured above ??

Ive found a BT module which is that part

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.