Cleaning unwanted files

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have been trying to post here from quite sometime to gain some knowledge on Mac OS X

I want to keep this post to the point. So here I need help.

1) How to clean unwanted files of Uninstalled softwares. Any open source or free software or utility helps. Please let know.

Or can anyone tell me after trashing an application from an application folder, which all places should we check for remaining files that should be trashed.

I like my iBook G4 a lot so doesn't mess up with it techically, but now I would love to know more so that I can keep my White Beauty clean ;) everytime.

Thanks in advance.

Mohammed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
When a relatively small app is installed (aka dragging to the apps folder) there are usually just two files created.

TheAppsName.app
com.apple.TheAppsname.plist (this is a small file that stores all the app's preferences)

You can spotlight for the plist and the app and just trash both. (If you're on Tiger) If you're not, the .plists are stored here:

MacintoshHD/Users/yourshortname/Library/Preferences/

If you're interested in some shareware that does it all for you, there's a program called "App Zapper". Search for it on www.macupdate.com. This does the two steps I mentioned for you.

Deleting apps on OSX is totally different from Windows, in that it's easy... :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.