sleep mode

Reaction score
iMac will not stay asleep; sleeps for 1 second before opening right up. how do i fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing to try is to reset the System Management Controller (SMC). Do this:

Power down your iMac and then unplug it from the AC outlet. Let it set that way for around 10 minutes. Plug it back in, boot it back up and see if the problem has been fixed.
Let us know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First... do not double post. (That thread has been deleted.) Always continue posting to your original thread. And instead of sending me a PM telling me the result of my suggestion, reply to the thread you started and then I will follow up with another reply. This is to the benefit of all members.

OK. Since resetting the SMC did not work that tells us that something is active which may be preventing your iMac from sleeping. Shut down all start up programs and check your Activity Monitor to see what else may be going on. Let us know - and be sure to post back to this thread.

OP
S
Reaction score
i dont know how (or what) "shut down all start-up programs" means nor how to do it. i don't know what and "activity monitor" is either.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See the following:

Startup programs: Open System Preferences, Users & Groups, highlight your user name, and click on "Login Items". If anything is listed there, click on the small lock at the bottom and enter your admin password. The lock will open. Now highlight anything listed above and press the small minus sign at the bottom. That will remove the startup item or program.

Activity Monitor: You can find it in Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app. When you open the app, it will show you what's running in the background. If something is running in the background it can prevent your iMac from sleeping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.