Which iMac to buy?!

Reaction score
I'm in the market of buying a new iMac, this will be my first Apple desktop. with so many various options out there which is the best setup? I mostly work with VM's and RDC so those programs will be installed immediately upon purchase any guidance what I should look for, or does anyone have a good setup idea? thanks. Phil

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's not really as complicated as you may think.:)

First question...21.5" or 27" display?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It think it will definitely be a 27". Sorry should have mentioned that.

Ok...that helps.:) If you go to Apple.com...you will see that there are just two standard configurations for the 27" iMac...and honestly...there's not much difference between them.

The more expensive configuration has a slightly faster cpu (not significant really)...and the more expensive configuration has 2gig of graphics ram (vs. 1gig in the lower end model).

Beyond this...the lower model can be configured with more ram, and additional storage. The higher end iMac can be configured with more ram, more storage, and/or a faster cpu.

But you can simply stick with the standard configurations...so there are only two choices. If you don't do a lot of graphics work...just choose the lower end model.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Those are all good suggestions, thanks so much. I figured since my wife also has lots of pictures, the 3TB fusion drive would be good along with either 8GB or 16GB of ram with 3.2 Ghz. unfortunately the graphics card cannot be changed on the lower-end model. Would it just be a good idea to get the bigger model all stocked up and hang onto it for 4,5,6+ years?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it just be a good idea to get the bigger model all stocked up and hang onto it for 4,5,6+ years?

It all comes down to your budget. All those upgrades will certainly add a lot to the final price.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.