iMac G5 Startup Problems

Z

Zedaine

I've had my iMac G5 for a little over a year now, and it's been running great, however, recently, I've been having a minor start up problem.

When I start up my machine in the mornings, it will stay at the gray screen, and eventually the fans will start spinning at full. I shut it off by holding down the power button, and try again. This time it goes to the apple, but the spinner at the bottom wont spin and it will roar its fan again. Then I will restart it again, and it will finally start up normal at its usual speed.

I decided to reformat, since Mac OS 10.4.4 was giving me low FPS rates in my games as well, I'm currently at 10.4.2, and my games are running great! But I still experience the start up problems in the morning. I end up getting my start up results, but it is annoying having to restart so many times. I've checked the hard drive and it hasn't given me any notifications of any errors, but I am sure the problem does exist somewhere with the harddrive.

I'll keep trying things out in the meantime, but any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
It sounds frustrating.

How are your transfer speeds for your hard disk? If it takes a long time (longer than usual) for files to transfer, then you may have a failing hdd.

Also, you may want to check your RAM and other hardware. Check out the Apple Hardware Test. http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/aht.html

Good luck,

-Tim

OP
I

IcerC

Hi Z,

I had the same problem.

It sounds like its a recall problem. http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

Serial Number ranges effected:

* W8435xxxxxx - W8522xxxxxx
* QP435xxxxxx - QP522xxxxxx
* CK435xxxxxx - CK522xxxxxx
* YD435xxxxxx - YD522xxxxxx

Call apple and tell them you you need have an imac with a recall problem.

If you can you should want to shut it off untill you get it fixed. Doing the hard shutdown (hold the power button) will ruin your harddrive.

I drove mine to the nearest mac athorizred retailer and he fixed it right up under warranty. If you know where a mac dealer is just drive it by.

:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with IcerC. Get a hold of Apple ASAP!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.