Core Audio Driver missing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
I click on the system preferences and click sound and there is no driver devices to choose from.
I've checked the About this Mac>More Info>Macbookpro>System Report>Hardware>Audio(Built In) area and it says Intel High Definition Audio Audio ID: 0

Core Audio should be in the selection area, but nothing is there..I did some googling, but nothing has worked on supplying a driver to choose from in the system sound preferences window. Does anyone have any idea what's happening here?
Thank you for your time!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
not sure if it's worth mentioning but the macbook pro is running Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5 build 11G63 & I have tried the system update and it is currently up to date after installing Safari again, because someone deleted it and installed chrome.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
might be a stupid question, but could i just copy my audio folder or something & paste it into his laptop?

C

chas_m

"his" laptop?

Maybe you could back up and tell us the whole story here. Core Audio is part of the system, you can't easily get rid of it without severely damaging the entire OS.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What makes you think the audio driver is missing?

With a default install:
There is no option to select a "driver" in the Sound - System Preferences.

There are only options to select an input or output "device".
i.e. headphones, internal mic, an Airplay device, etc.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
Yes it's his laptop Chas_m, the wife told me he told her & her dad something along the lines of it was his friend's laptop, his parents are rich, and he gave Travis (my brother in law) this laptop since he won't need it anymore now that he has a new one. Now that whole story right there sounds suspicious to me, but he's in college and I'd like to think he's a mature young adult & wouldn't be some criminal stealing anything from someone.

Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, I say driver..but it might not be the right word.. I produce electronic music on my MacBook Pro & switch between my headphones & the usb output for my mixer quite often, so I'm just saying driver thinking that's what I mean.. I believe bobtomay has it right with "device".
Before the wife had me look at it, I seen the laptop on our kitchen counter & she was updating to Lion, so I would think that it should have all the normal components in the OS without it being damaged or anything. I even performed an update by clicking the apple icon in the top left corner then "About this Mac" then "System Update"…so the system should be up to date with everything & the OS should have the audio installed properly, at least I would think that's how it works.

Anyhow, I click on Preferences, then Sound, and in the next window I don't have the option to select "Headphones" or "Internal Speakers" or in my case "USB Audio CODEC" in the area that says "Select device for audio output" - I feel silly, the word I should have been using is "device" not driver-

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You refer to it as a "notebook" - which model is this actually?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
You refer to it as a "notebook" - which model is this actually?

Hi cwa107! It's a Macbook Pro …I think maybe a 13 or a 15 inch..it's not as large as my Macbook Pro 17". It's running OSX Lion 10.7.5 & it is build 11G63

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi cwa107! It's a Macbook Pro …I think maybe a 13 or a 15 inch..it's not as large as my Macbook Pro 17". It's running OSX Lion 10.7.5 & it is build 11G63

So, Lion is distributed through the Mac App Store and is tied to a particular Apple ID. Did your wife purchase Lion specifically for this machine, and if not,where did it come from?

The answer to this question requires a precise answer in order to direct you properly, because the symptoms make it sound like the wrong media may have been used to perform this install.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
So, Lion is distributed through the Mac App Store and is tied to a particular Apple ID. Did your wife purchase Lion specifically for this machine, and if not,where did it come from?

The answer to this question requires a precise answer in order to direct you properly, because the symptoms make it sound like the wrong media may have been used to perform this install.

I just asked her and she said Lion was already on there, & she was trying to reformat it by hitting "command F" or something while it was booting up, thus creating this screen I saw making me think she was installing it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
…so based on it being set up the way it is..what would you recommend, cwa107?

C

chas_m

Assuming the OS is not damaged, I believe what you're asking is "how can I easily change my preferred sound output destination?"

If I have that right, then all you need is something like SoundSource. The functionality of SoundSource is already incorporated into 10.8 so the program won't work with Mountain Lion, but works fine with Lion.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
hey chasm!
I'm super sorry for taking so long to get back to ya. After some time of trying my bro in law just asked for it back and decided to not worry about it. I think there was something wrong with the operating system…it just didn't look right when i would open up the sound preferences. & yes you were correct, i totally just wasn't wording it right. I was wanting to change my sound output destination, sadly there wasn't anything to select in that window. Like i said, the OS had to be damaged or something...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.