Macbook pro Line-in not being recognised, anyway around this?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been trying to use a phono/mic preamp through my macbook pro to record on garageband however the laptop is not recognising that there is a line-in, it thinks they are headphones. The computer has only one jack, which is used for both line-in and line-out, there used to be a function on older computers to select what the jack would be used for, line-in or line-out, however this has been since removed.

I have plugged the preamp into an apple computer with a dedicated line-in and it has worked fine.

Is there anyway I can get the computer to recognise the preamp? Could a phono-to-USB adaptor work perhaps?

Thanks,
Bigyouth

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What happens when you send a signal through the pre-amp and then into the Line In jack on your MacBook Pro, does it then recognize it as input?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It might work. In any event the seller says it can be returned except that you must pay return postage. I wonder if the reason your MBP won't recognize the output from the pre-map is this mentioned by the seller:

Some laptops and mobile devices will not work with all external microphones. This is typically caused by an impedance mismatch between the microphone and the device. This is due to hardware incompatibility and is not a limitation of the Conversor adapter.

Generally, the output impedance from a pre-amp is very high in order that it does not load down the circuit it's connected to.

It is too bad that Apple has combined the line input and output into the one jack. Seems like if something was working well before, why change it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.