The volume on __was found corrupt and needs to be repaired

Reaction score
this disk needs to be repaired. Start up on your installation cd disk and then use disk utility to repair disk.

I tried to retype the message. All tips seem to point to having to erase my C drive and reinstall fresh. I just did that last week when the computer failed to boot at all. I thought I had it fixed. I don't want to have to do it again. It was an extreme hassle to re download all my programs. I'm also concerned how this will affect my bootcamp and windows 7.

Is there a way to resolve this without having to wipe the entire C drive and start all over again? I don't want to be having to do this every few weeks. Yikes! Please help.

OSX snow leopard.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no C drive in OS X. That is a Windows only thing.

Second time in a week - that tells me it is time to replace the hard drive.

If you are keeping a Time Machine backup, you wouldn't need to start over.
You could just install the OS and restore from your backup.

If you have data in the Windows partition you don't want to lose, you might want to try Winclone for backing up that partition.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ah okay, that explains it. But yeah it is the one and only hard drive in the computer. It doesn't really matter if it is one week or two weeks, but it does look like I need a new hard drive?

But how do I get a new internal hard drive without having to pay a couple grand or more for a new refurbished imac? I guess it is better I get the new drive in now while most of my important personal data is on external drives. And I do have a time machine drive to restore some files from. Fortunately I haven't done a lot with windows, so I could just reinstall the OEM and just copy whatever data I got on my flash drive. Still it is an inconvenience. But I rather just get whatever done if I can just replace the drive without having to replace the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it apart, and replace the drive. Have a look at iFixit's web site. Would have done it for you but you have not supplied model details.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
But how do I get a new internal hard drive without having to pay a couple grand or more for a new refurbished imac? ...

Most "new" Macs are less than a couple grand.
A new hard drive should be less than $100.

As harry noted above, that's about all we can advise without you providing some info on what Mac you have and what version of OS X you are using.

OP
B
Reaction score
It's a 27" imac. I'm not sure where to find the model number when on the windows partition and without moving the computer. I looked at some tutorials to take the screen off with a suction cup and access the hard drive, but for someone like me, who hasn't done it before, it looks like I better take it to a professional to do it. It'll cost more, but I'm afraid of messing up if I try it on my own. But at least I know I can get a new hard drive without paying for a whole new computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're right. Let Apple do it, I can guarantee they'll do it right. I just had a hard drive replaced in my 21.5" iMac and if I had not known the front panel was removed, I couldn't tell that anything was done. :) I had Apple care but the billed cost was $275.00, zero for me, but that's probably close to what Apple will charge you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.