Airport not detecting network and issue connecting

Reaction score
I have Macbook pro with Mac OS 10.6.8.
I have been having some issues with my Airport and wifi connection since I migrated from a broadband provider to another. I don't know if it's related but the issue happened at the same time. It's been 4 days and since then:

Every time I open the lid I am not connected to any network and need to choose my network manually. When I do, it does connect to the network but still I am unable to go on internet successfully. I need to do the following:

Open network preferences>Assist me>Diagnostics>Select a location ( I always have the option between "Location" and "Location (17/10/2012 17:46)" and usually choose either one) At this point it tells me on the right the Network status and the following are green: Airport, Airport settings, Network settings but the following are red: ISP, Internet, Sever.

I am then asked to choose a network port configuration which is Airport in this case and then asked to choose a network where I select mine of course. It then diagnose and at this point it always green out all the network status and I am finally able to access internet.

This is very time consuming and frustrating so I would like to know how to resolve this. Now, the big issue is that I have tried to tweak it on my own and I was playing with the Locations and since then the Airport won't even show my network at all whereas it is showing fine on all the other devices I have in my home. I therefore decided to use my mobile phone as tethering to write this message and I have noticed exactly the same problem as with my other network. This one shows but I still have to go through all the diagnostics first to make it work.

I have tried and read other threads and I have deleted the airport but it didn't do the trick. I also have tried and locate the System configuration folder in Library preferences but it is not there!

I am stuck and don't know what to do. I need a resolution as soon as possible as I have to use my phone internet data to use the web :(

OP
C
Reaction score
I have managed to find my network by calling my broadband provider and it seemed to be an issue with the Router channel but I am still having issues to connect to the network.
Please help me out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
What is the brand of your router? (the exact name/number)

OP
C
Reaction score
It's a D-link DSL3680.
Any thoughts? My partner has a 2008 non unibody Macbook pro, same OS, which is working fine and we also have a PC with windows XP working fine.

I'm pretty positive that it must be related to this migration to a new ISP but why my laptop wasn't able to make the transition is what I don't get.

I have changed the name of the network to the exact same name as the one before and with the exact same password. Could that be an issue maybe?

OP
C
Reaction score
"I have changed the name of the network to the exact same name as the one before and with the exact same password. Could that be an issue maybe?"

What I just wrote in my previous post made me think... I just removed all entries I had saved in Keychain Access and it now works!

OP
C
Reaction score
Right, so I was wrong.
The issue still persists and I still need help please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
1. Disable WMM mode on your router. You will find such setting as per screenshot below:

2l971nb.png

2. Set the router channel from AUTO to 11 (and save the setting) for both 2,4 and 5mhz bands.

(when approaching your router go to "Wireless Settings". From here, unclick the "auto channel selection" checkbox, then select a new channel from the channel dropdown. Then click save settings)

3. Restart your Macbook Pro and let me know if this works (try testing it a few times by closing/opening your Mac and reconnecting to the network)

PS: If this still does not work (al though keeping the broadcast channel on 11) you might want to deactivate the DHCP server and manually assign a fixed IP address per device.

PPS: You are on TalkTalk?

OP
C
Reaction score
I can't seem to find this WMM mode? This is what I see when I'm in advanced settings:

11191662986_b7aa081eeb_b.jpg

As for the router channel, it was already changed on 11 by my ISP and this is how I was able to see again my network. You can see that as per the below screenshots:

11191821883_017d82c66f_b.jpg

11191712074_c5b8bfca5f_b.jpg

And yes I was with Virgin Media and changed to TalkTalk. How do you know?

Do you know where I can find these settings then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One intermediate question: what is the firmware installed on the router? v1.03 or v1.06 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try also to use different security modes (WEP / WPA / WPA2 / AES / TKIP). I had a friend of mine where the same happened.

Also always remember to FORGET the network on your iDevice, in Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network settings in the Apple devices AFTER every change you make to your router / network wireless device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.