Can Someone Tell Me What's Going On With My Movies Folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Hello all!

I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting my own issues but this is one that I can't really find any info on. I upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks and my Movies folder looks completely different.

All of my other folders are fine and they work just like before including the Pictures, Music, and Documents folders.

The issue is that I can only see movie files and folders at all in list and column view (icon view shows a blank folder) however, most files are grey with little circles next to them. I can't click on them, move them, right click them, anything. I have a feeling it's a simple issue that I'm overlooking but I am including screenshots to help show what's going on. Any ideas? I need a lot of these files for work! :(

Icon View:
ScreenShot2013-12-02at120452AM_zps7d5f8e9e.png~original

List View:
ScreenShot2013-12-02at120231AM_zps06fc3232.png~original

Column View:
ScreenShot2013-12-02at120010AM_zpsccb26413.png~original

These were all workable, clickable, and playable files before the upgrade. I have Perian, Flip4Mac (for .WMV files), and VLC installed on my system just in case that matters. Mavericks is showing them as still installed and ready to go. All video files outside of the movies folder still work. In fact, I just dragged a movie file from the desktop that was playing 10 seconds ago to the movies folder and now it's one of those gray files. Thanks!

Edit- If I open Quicktime and go to file -> open file they can all be opened but that's a bit of a pain and I would still like to get this resolved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you choose 'None' from the Item Arrangement icon (6th from the left in your screenshot)

See what that does and post back a screenshot including the column names please

OP
Adric
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Wow... That solved it! Yeah I chose "none" then all of the icons appeared and everything works. Like I said, probably a simple issue.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.