Corroded logic board?

Reaction score
Hey there,

My 4month old macbook pro recently stopped working, it beeped 3 times, 5 second pause, 3 times etc....

This ismy 2nd macbook pro, the first one they said it would cost 1000$ to fix, and i bought this one instead.

I was very careful with this, having 3 cases, a waterproof casing and so forth.

I went to the apple store on thursday, and they stated they would do a free repair.

However, they called me today saying they found corrosion and i have to pay 755$ + other fees to replace the logicboard.

Its the new 13inch retina display with 8GB ram.

Talking to the store manager, he said he cannot do anything, but he offered me some 5% pathetic discount (doesn't even make sense as i get 4% off being a student).

What do i do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A logic board does not get corroded by itself. Something must have caused the corrosion; moisture getting inside, condensation, attempting to clean the keyboard, etc, etc. There's nothing much you can do unless you can somehow convince Apple that the corrosion wasn't caused by you. That's why it's smart to have insurance. Even as a "poor" student, insurance makes sense.

If you purchased your rMBP with a credit card, check with the issuer of the credit card. American Express for example extends the warranty on items purchased with their credit card and that includes accidental damage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your MBP has moisture indicators built in alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.