"ghost" apps in system AFTER Clean Install 10.8.5

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a weird problem.
I was having tons of issues with my mid 2011 27" iMac, yet it passed all the ASD tests and DriveGenius tests. So I decided to clean install.

It had been a while since I had done so, so I looked online followed the instructions (made a boot installer on a SD card, started from said installer, erased my Startup drive, then clean installed the OS)

All seemed to be fine however when I went to the app store to reinstall some of my apps, the store showed some apps as "installed" which of course is impossible.

Now when I right click on a file and open the contextual menu to "choose application" to open said file in I am also seeing old versions of apps and apps that are no longer installed on my system as options...

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to rectify this situation?
much appreciated if so!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What OS ??
What Mac ??
Was it a upgrade install, or the same OS as was on it before ?? If you upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, there are a few App, and mainly Apple Apps that are not compatible with Mavericks, so you will see that msg, if not and its the same OS i would try and do another install. You could have a corrupt copy of the Install ESD on the SD card :(

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the quick reply
I actually had the OS listed in the subject and the mac listed in the description.

But to be clear I am running

mid 2011 27" iMac (i7 / 3.4 / Quad / 16GB / 1TB)

I was simply reinstalling 10.8.5 on my computer that already had 10.8.5 (so Mavericks is non in play)
I don't think it is a corrupt installer as I downloaded the 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and created the installer on the SD card from that (then simply used the App update to get it up to 10.8.5)

I am pretty sure this happened to me once a few years back... but I can't remember what the issue was.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea sorry, i read so many posts on the forum, and the morning Java hadn't kicked in to see all that. I tend to glance over the first few lines as people actually don't tell you of the problem/s until the end of their post.

As i said before, for the sake of 40Mins of your Time, i would be Erasing the HD and reformatting it via Disk Utility in the Recovery Partition and then do another Clean install. Im not sure of what could cause all that, especially if it wasn't just 1 App, but many.
You could try Repairing Disk Permissions but if its a clean install it shouldn't need it, and just because you downloaded it from the MAS and put it on the SD card, doesn't always means its not corrupt either. It only needs to miss 1 file, or not write a file correctly to have a corrupt file.

OP
T
Reaction score
I hear you. But my time investment is quite a bit more than 40 mins at this time as I have already reinstalled all my old software (for the past 10hrs) so I think I will look for the solution.. right now I am using TinkerTool and hoping that may take care of the issue.

thanks again and if you or anyone else can think of a solution I am all ears ;)

OP
T
Reaction score
Got it!

TinkerTool Systems
Let Mac OS X rebuild the Launch Services Database for a selected user account (”by rebuilding Desktop”).

That took care of the issue right away...
thanks again for the suggestions!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.