New Apple TV and OS X (Mavericks)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I just received an APPLE TV for my birthday and after setting it up I'm able to have my iPAD share it's screen and activities on my home theater, cool. But I'm now trying to "share" or link it to my main iTunes library on my iMAC and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can go into the APPLE TV Set Up and when I select COMPUTER I do see my e-mail address but not my iMAC on the network.

I'm running Mavericks on my iMAC.

Thanks in advance.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did you go into iTunes on the Mac and turn on Home Sharing? See if this helps. (dead link removed)

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Holy Cow, it was as easy as that. Thanks a million. BTW I GOOGLED for help and couldn't find what you provided.

The Apple TV was what I've been wanting/looking for. I have three floors in my home with a Panasonic plasma and various home theater audio systems and now I can share my library. I'll just need to buy two more Apple TV's.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad I could help. Google sometimes guards her treasures. I just set this up a couple of months ago and had to look this up just so I didn't forget something.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got a second Apple TV for Christmas. So I'm really living the good life.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Color me jealous. BTW what kinds of remotes are you using to tie everything together? I'm trying to set up a few macros to simplify things for my wife. She hates it when there are too many remotes.

I have the Red Eye Mini and have re-configured the software a few times as we have changed gear or had problems. It has the ability to assign multi-step macros to buttons which should simplify things.

The principle problem we are having at the moment is that our TV is slow to react to power up requests from the macro. The delay between power on and the next step is not long enough. It is driving me bonkers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Color me jealous. BTW what kinds of remotes are you using to tie everything together? I'm trying to set up a few macros to simplify things for my wife. She hates it when there are too many remotes.

I have the Red Eye Mini and have re-configured the software a few times as we have changed gear or had problems. It has the ability to assign multi-step macros to buttons which should simplify things.

The principle problem we are having at the moment is that our TV is slow to react to power up requests from the macro. The delay between power on and the next step is not long enough. It is driving me bonkers.

Try Logitech Harmony remotes. You can add delay between specific sequences in your macros. I have been using Harmony's for years and have never had an issue. They are a little more expensive than most, but worth it IMO to keep our women happy!! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I will second the Harmony remotes I have the One and it has been great for 2 yrs now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had one of the Harmony series at one time (500 I think) annd accidentally cracked the display. I'm going to take one more shot to see if I can get the Mini working properly. I think I might move to the Logitech that works with the iPhone/iPad.

One thing I like about most of the iiDevice based remote solutions is you can create new buttons and name them accordingly. I've tried several of these "macro" learning remotes and on many of them you cannot rename the virtual buttons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
My Harmony One Advanced has been splendid for the last 5 years, I had to buy a replacement battery for it a couple of years ago but apart from that it's been super.

It also gives you all the basic control button functions for your equipment on the touchscreen at the same time and even doubles up as a Sky remote, but most of my AV equipment is in the same room. If you've got equipment spread over 3 floors you will need 3 units unless you can find some piece of equipment that can take the active IR input from the remote and split it to each location.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.