Problem with Outlook for Mac

Reaction score
Hi all, hope this isn't OT: I've been using Outlook 2011 for Mac for ages, but recently it's just stopped receiving mail.
If I press the send/receive button nothing happens. No dialog box, no connection to server - nothing.
Sends OK.
Any ideas please?
Thanks
Andy

Reaction score
have you looked in your mailbox via the web browser. Also check your settings in Mail preference to see if anything altered recently.

OP
A
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the web-based account, OS's 'Mail' checks it OK. Outlook doesn't even TRY to check it.

I didn't change any settings, this happened after an Office update, I think.

Andy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Office 2011 Outlook is a PITA. I've never seen anything break so easily as that app, but I guess since it's a version 1 for OS X, it has an excuse.

Microsoft recommends that any time you have problems with Mac Outlook, try rebuilding its data base as a start. See the following MS Knowledge base article: LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I've been having the same issue with Outlook. It is a true PITA!! I have not researched it too much at this point. I switched over to Mac mail for the time being and it works perfectly. I plan on digging into this later down the road.

It's frustrating to hear the phone ding and Outlook do nothing. Also, the database rebuild did nothing for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's frustrating to hear the phone ding and Outlook do nothing. Also, the database rebuild did nothing for me.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Usually a reinstall fixes it, but that's more trouble than it's worth if it's part of Office 2011. MS in their "wisdom" decided in order to reinstall one app from Office you have to remove and reinstall everything. Don't know why they did that since the Windows version allows for separate install and repair. I don't have my copy of Outlook installed and I'm glad I don't....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Usually a reinstall fixes it, but that's more trouble than it's worth if it's part of Office 2011. MS in their "wisdom" decided in order to reinstall one app from Office you have to remove and reinstall everything. Don't know why they did that since the Windows version allows for separate install and repair. I don't have my copy of Outlook installed and I'm glad I don't....

You are right there, it is more trouble than it's worth. I purchased my new rMBP last month and I was doing fine for a couple of weeks without MS Office, but for some reason I went ahead and installed it and installed frustration into my life. I may just move along for now that I have comparable apps with iWork, and Mac mail works just fine. I like some features in Outlook but I think I can survive pulling the plug.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.