Macbook Air vs. Pro, impossible to decide

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

after having used Windows for all my life, I recently tried out OSX on an MBA 11" I "borrowed" from Apple, and now I'm sold on the OS.
After going through some pain to get a smooth mouse experience, I absolutely fell in love with the Mac.
For instance, I did in five minutes in OSX what took me several hours in Windows: get a decent audio input latency.

Having sent back the adorable but but ultimately a little too small MBA 11", I'm currently deliberating to get one of these devices and I'm having a hard time deciding:

Refurb MBA 13" 256gb, 4 GB Ram, Core i5@1,3ghz: 1.099 €
MBA 13" 256, 8 GB, i7@1,7ghz: 1.450 €
MBP 13" 256, 8 GB, i5@2,4ghz: 1.400 €

Since I occasionally need Windows, I reckon 128gb Macbooks are out of the question.

What kills me is that the MBP has the smaller footprint and would fit into my bag better, while only being half a pound heavier. I'm not sure how much power I "need", or if I'll run into RAM-issues if I get the base model, so it's tempting to throw another 300 € at it to get the upgrades.

Here's what I do with the device:

1. A ton of writing and some office work at home
2. Do research at the uni library
3. Work with GarageBand
4. Work with GuitarPro
5. Play with Synthesia
6. watch videos in bed
7. mayhaps check out the upcoming Diablo expansion

What I can't estimate properly is how much the difference in screen resolution actually is.
Does one notice it at all? Can I scale down the Retina to the MBA resolution to improve battery life in normal use?

It would be awfully nice of you to help me decide.

Oh, before I forget, I also just picked up a used iPad Mini (32gb, LTE), because the 190 € asking price was too good to pass on, so is there any "synergy" between the devices?

I'd love to have a calender and 'notepad' that both devices can access without any hassle.
And since iOS apparently doesn't have a torrent client, is there a way to make my Macbook download a video via torrent and watch the video on the iPad without touching the Macbook?

Cheers boners,

FurryPaws

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Refurb MBA 13" 256gb: 1.099 €
MBA 13" 256, 8 GB, i7: 1.450 €
MBP 13" 256, 8 GB, i5: 1.400 €

Probably should have included the cpu speeds for easier answering.:)

You didn't tell us how much ram the refurb MBA has (I'm guessing 4gig). In these days of non-upgradeable ram...this is an important factor. If the refurb mBA only has 4gig of ram...then it really shouldn't be compared to the other two choices with 8gig of ram...since they are really not configured equally. Of course this refurb MBA could be the low cost choice.

What kills me is that the MBP has the smaller footprint and would fit into my bag better, while only being half a pound heavier.

I don't think that the foot print difference is enough to "kill you". They both have 13" display's...so the footprint difference is certainly minimal. Yes...the MBP is a little bit heavier.

I would say if cost is an issue...go with the refurb. But if it only has 4gig of ram (which isn't terrible) consider this carefully. 4gig of ram may be ok today. But in the coming years (depending on how long you want to keep this computer)...4gig of ram may not be enough.

If you feel you should get 8gig of ram. Then that narrows things down to the other two choices. I don't know exactly what two models these are (you didn't give all the specs)...but based on the info provided...I guess I would go with the i7 MBA. Simply because it's lighter & the cost is very close to the 13" MBP with 8gig of ram.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The stats I didn't give a base configuration.

Base configurations or not...not everyone keeps these base configurations memorized. And since you are shopping at a different Apple Store than I do (prices are in euros)...I am not easily able to make direct comparisons to the models sold in the Apple Store I shop at (US store).

For the ease of folks replying & trying to help in this thread...instead of the post above...it may have been more helpful just to post the complete specs.:)

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Very good point, I've added the information.

I'm having a hard time to understand the processor speeds.

They are all Dual Core, and the i7 has 1,7ghz to 3,1ghz turbo boost, whereas the i5 in the MBA has 2,4-2,9 ghz.

Does that mean the i7 is faster if need be?
Does a 'core i' compare to a Core 2 duo when they have the same clock speed?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very good point, I've added the information.

Thanks a bunch...that helps a lot!:)

Here's the deal with the two new laptops you listed (both with 8gig of ram):

- The MBA has significantly better cpu benchmark scores than the MBP (7097 vs. 5482)
- The MBP has the newer Intel Iris 5100 graphics...where as the MBA has the older Intel HD Graphics 5000.
- The MBP has a retina display (MBA does not).

Thus looking at these two models:

- If graphics performance and the retina display are more important...then get the MBP.
- If cpu speed (benchmark scores) and weight are more important...then get the MBA.

Definitely a personal choice.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm having a hard time to understand the processor speeds.

They are all Dual Core, and the i7 has 1,7ghz to 3,1ghz turbo boost, whereas the i5 in the MBA has 2,4-2,9 ghz.

Does that mean the i7 is faster if need be?
Does a 'core i' compare to a Core 2 duo when they have the same clock speed?

You updated/edited your post...so I'm answering in a separate post.

Yes...all this cpu & cpu speed info can be confusing. I simply look at benchmark scores...which pretty much boils everything down to a single more easily comparable number (which I mentioned in my post above)!:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And to answer the latter question the iSeries are drastically faster than a Core 2 Duo at the same clock speeds.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
In terms of retina vs non-retina displays, as soon as I looked at one in the shop I had to upgrade to a retina MBP - the difference was dramatic to my eyes.

In terms of your question re synergy there is a very strong synergy between Apple devices. Assuming that you have the latest OS on both then you can synchronise contacts, reminders, notes, calendars and more using iCloud at no cost. Apple's productivity software (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) have good version for both platforms at a very reasonable cost (free now IIRC?) and you can, again, synchronise documents between devices using iCloud.

C

chas_m

Here's what I do with the device:

1. A ton of writing and some office work at home
2. Do research at the uni library
3. Work with GarageBand
4. Work with GuitarPro
5. Play with Synthesia
6. watch videos in bed
7. mayhaps check out the upcoming Diablo expansion

I think your need to use Windows programs and the gaming issue narrow this down to either the MBA i7 or the rMBP. For better graphics and the option of larger built-in storage, there's little option but the rMBP. If you're only an occasional gamer and don't require state-of-the-art, you could probably get away nicely with the i7 MBA for everything else you mentioned, BUT here's the thing: you will really be doing yourself a favour in both cases by getting the maximum amount of RAM you can afford. As I don't think you can add RAM afterwards to either machine (someone will of course correct me if I'm wrong about that). :)

As for the torrent/movie thing, we are generally hesitant to talk about this because as you are aware, the predominant use of torrents is to illegally download/pirate stuff and this forum is very strictly against such use. But to answer your question from a technical point of view, YES it is possible to set up a program on your iPad that will "stream and transcode" videos from your Mac on a local or Internet connection. I use Air Video HD (and Server HD) for this, it is not free but it is inexpensive and has saved me a lot of conversion time.

OP
F
Reaction score
Gaming certainly isn't a priority. I can make do with lowest details and there's only very few games I'm interested in and even then the interest isn't too big.

I think in terms of graphics performance, the difference between the rMBP and the MBA isn't too large, so it comes down to battery vs. screen...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think in terms of graphics performance, the difference between the rMBP and the MBA isn't too large, so it comes down to battery vs. screen...

If this is the case. The cpu benchmark scores are pretty substantially different (MBA 7097 vs. MBP 5482). I wouldn't overlook that.:)

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Yeah, the benchmarks differ by like 10%, but the real-time performance does more so.

But since CPU and graphics have a shared memory, shouldn't the faster CPU nudge that a bit back into the i7's favour?

Anyways, taking about real life performance, I doubt I use any programs that even push the computer so far, so that shouldn't be my priority.
In terms of retina vs non-retina displays, as soon as I looked at one in the shop I had to upgrade to a retina MBP - the difference was dramatic to my eyes.

In terms of your question re synergy there is a very strong synergy between Apple devices. Assuming that you have the latest OS on both then you can synchronise contacts, reminders, notes, calendars and more using iCloud at no cost. Apple's productivity software (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) have good version for both platforms at a very reasonable cost (free now IIRC?) and you can, again, synchronise documents between devices using iCloud.

That just leaves the retina screen. I'd check it out in a store, but I have a bad conscience walking in there and checking out the **** with no intention of buying anything.

Thanks for the information on synchronisation and 'synergy' (Christ on a stick I hate that word). :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

Apple Stores are not like regular stores. You needn't feel guilty about going in to "kick the tires," or even use the store as a "showroom" and buy the thing off a website later -- the money still goes to Apple either way! :)

I understand your feelings about it, but they don't really apply to a "factory-owned" store if you will.

OP
F
Reaction score
There aren't any Apple stores in my city, just certified retailers.

But you're right, of course, that shouldn't stop me from checking out both models.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.