weird message

Reaction score
hey guys
i have the new imac and i constantly get this weird message " someone is using your IP address "
every time i restart my modem connection

is someone really hacking my computer!!:Not-Amused::'( and if so what should i do to stop this!!

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Do you have multiple modems in use? What are the DNS settings on the modem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Without more detailed information about the setup of your Home network, we can only guess.
Do you have DHCP turned on ? ( Normally this is on your router )
Do you have more than 1 router giving out DHCP managed IP addresses ?
Have you assigned static IP addresses to some of your devices ?
What is the exact error message and when does it appear ?
What is the IP address that is claimed to be a duplicate ?
If you could tell us a bit more about your home network setup, that would increase your chances for a solution.

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
every time i restart my modem connection
This might be the issue. Is there any particular reason you're restarting networking hardware on what appears to be a regular basis? I imagine that, if you've got a lot of devices connecting to your router and there's a mix of static and DHCP obtained IPs, this is going to appear once in a while.

OP
V
Reaction score
i use one routher with many devices
only 1 computer 1 ipad and 1 mobile
all connected to one router

the message gave me the ip address .. i wrote down but the note is not with me now
i'll upload the ip once i get home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd say at least one of the devices connecting to your router a static IP address.

e.g. if a network printer has been setup to use IP address 192.168.0.10 but is turned off. You turn your Mac on and the router happens to issue .10 to your Mac. The printer then comes online and wants to use .10
That's a clash. Same can happen when mobile devices come and go on a network.

Make sure all are set to auto/DCHP. Then reboot everything, including the router.

If you really need a static IP for a device it's best reserved on the router itself rather than the device.

OP
V
Reaction score
the ip is 192.168.1.100
and i dont think any of my devices is set to static ip .. because mac is always connected and my ipad also but the rest are not always connected
weird the message stopped to appear 2 days ago..
im asking because i suspicious from my neighbor he seems to know alot more about me

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
the ip is 192.168.1.100
and i dont think any of my devices is set to static ip .. because mac is always connected and my ipad also but the rest are not always connected
weird the message stopped to appear 2 days ago..
im asking because i suspicious from my neighbor he seems to know alot more about me

Well, unless your neighbour has a device with a static IP you aren't going to see that message even if they were on your network...

If you are genuinely concerned about your wifi security then change your admin password on the router to something new and strong, then do the same to your wifi password, using WPA2 encryption.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Time to change your wifi key to something very secure and impossible to guess. Just in case

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.