The best macbook for a software engineering student?

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I’m planning to get a macbook, but I’m in doubt between the following models (both with a 4 GB ram and 128 GB storage):

1. Macbook Pro (late 2013) with the CPU 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
  2. Macbook Air (2013) with the CPU 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7

I’m a software engineering student, and I do stuff like programming with MATLAB and Java. Thus speed (performance) is the most important factor for me. The second factor is weight, as I’ll have to bring it to uni every day. Screen resolution and battery life are unimportant.

What confuses me the most is that the Pro has a higher clock speed, but it’s a lower model (i5 versus the Air’s i7).

I would be very thankful if you helped me choose the best one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What confuses me the most is that the Pro has a higher clock speed, but it’s a lower model (i5 versus the Air’s i7).

You can upgrade the cpu to an i7. I would also upgrade the ram. 4gig may not be enough...and ram is not upgradeable after configuration & purchase.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
You can upgrade the cpu to an i7. I would also upgrade the ram. 4gig may not be enough...and ram is not upgradeable after configuration & purchase.

- Nick
Thanks.

Unfortunately I actually cannot spend more than that. The most expensive thing that I can afford is Macbook Pro late 2013, basic configuration.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.

Unfortunately I actually cannot spend more than that. The most expensive thing that I can afford is Macbook Pro late 2013, basic configuration.

Yes...that's the way it goes sometimes! But I would strongly recommend doing at least the ram upgrade. Extra $100 I believe.

I would also recommend checking out the refurbished area. Save a couple hundred.:)

This may interest you:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

- dual core 2.9ghz i7
- 8gig ram
- 750 gig HD
- $1269

* Nick

p.s. And the ram is upgradeable later on to 16gig if you would so choose or need it. And you can either upgrade the HD to a larger capacity HD or and SSD...AND you can remove the optical drive...and install an SSD (two drives in the same laptop)!:)

Can't do all this with newer models.

OP
B
Reaction score
To be honest I cannot spend more than around 1340 euros (I'm buying in Europe). This roughly equals the price of the two computers I listed in the first post. But I really cannot go upper, not even upgrading the ram.

So, the question is which of those gives better performance?

The Pro has higher clock frequency, but the Air is i7 and has a higher Turbo Charge clock frequency (3.3 vs. Pro's 3.1).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, the question is which of those gives better performance?

The Pro has higher clock frequency, but the Air is i7 and has a higher Turbo Charge clock frequency (3.3 vs. Pro's 3.1).

I think that someone else was asking the same exact question earlier today...here's an answer that I mentioned:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...air-vs-pro-impossible-decide.html#post1553672

Each model has it's positives. The MBA has much better cpu scores...but the MBP has a retina display, better graphics hardware.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I think that someone else was asking the same exact question earlier today...here's an answer that I mentioned:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...air-vs-pro-impossible-decide.html#post1553672

Each model has it's positives. The MBA has much better cpu scores...but the MBP has a retina display, better graphics hardware.

- Nick
Thanks again Nick.

I do programming with languages like Matlab, java, VHDL. These do many calculations sometimes, and so I think I'll be better off with the MBA due to the higher cpu speed (benchmarks). I will not do heavy graphics nor games.

Do you think I'm right?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do programming with languages like Matlab, java, VHDL. These do many calculations sometimes, and so I think I'll be better off with the MBA due to the higher cpu speed (benchmarks). I will not do heavy graphics nor games.

Do you think I'm right?

Sounds like good logic to me. If you were someone who did gaming, videos, photoshop, etc...then better graphics would be better. But if you focus on tasks that involve a lot of calculations...then better cpu scores would be better.:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
But can you really rely on benchmarks? I mean are they really good measure of how fast the computer will do, for example, long mathematical calculations in Matlab?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
if you can't rely on benchmarks, what can you rely on? A lot of the benchmarks generate the numbers they do by making the CPU run through algorithms and other number crunching exercises..

The better the CPU, the faster it can finish the tasks, the higher the score.

So If you care, primarily, about the number crunching ability, then focus on those scores from the benchmarks and go with the machine with the highest score..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But can you really rely on benchmarks? I mean are they really good measure of how fast the computer will do, for example, long mathematical calculations in Matlab?

Other than running the exact applications you are going to use...on each computer model you are thinking of purchasing to get relative time (minutes & seconds) to compete specific tasks...benchmark scores are the best guide you're going to get.

Benchmark scores are what have been used to compare the performance of one computer vs. others ever since computers have been around (but certainly since the 1980's when personal computers became widespread).

If you know of a better method...I would sure like to know!:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you both for the strong arguments; I think now I can see that benchmarks are reliable.

However, there is a problem with the benchmarks you (pigoo3) mention in the other topic (MBA 7097 vs. MBP 5482):

These seem to be from everymac, where the MBA is tested with Geekbench 2 whereas the MBP is tested with Geekbench 3. And as the website says, the two versions "cannot be directly compared".

Moreover, on primatelabs they both get approx. similar results: MBA: 6149, MBP: 6174.

So, can we really conclude that the MBA scores better?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, there is a problem with the benchmarks you (pigoo3) mention in the other topic (MBA 7097 vs. MBP 5482):

These seem to be from everymac, where the MBA is tested with Geekbench 2 whereas the MBP is tested with Geekbench 3. And as the website says, the two versions "cannot be directly compared".

Moreover, on primatelabs they both get approx. similar results: MBA: 6149, MBP: 6174.

So, can we really conclude that the MBA scores better?

Sorry about that. I didn't realize that Everymac.com was now using Geekbench 3 with some model Mac's. If those scores you mentioned (6149 vs. 6174) are the true comparative scores...then really there is no difference between these two computers from a cpu benchmark perspective.

Thanks for the heads up!:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
No problem :D

Then, considering my main use (programming MATLAB, java, etc; i.e. performance being my first priority), which computer would you recommend?

Actually I've decided to get an 8 GB RAM (on either of the computers).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem :D

Then, considering my main use (programming MATLAB, java, etc; i.e. performance being my first priority), which computer would you recommend?

Actually I've decided to get an 8 GB RAM (on either of the computers).

I would still refer your back to the post I made in the other thread:

Of course with the cpu benchmark scores be a virtual tie...that takes something away from the MBA.

In my opinion...the only advantage the MBA has over the MBP is that it is lighter (less weight)...and maybe it's a bit thinner (I didn't verify this).

If these things don't interest you...and if I was purchasing one of these two computers...I would probably go with the MBP. It has potentially better graphics performance (due to newer graphics hardware technology)...and it has the retina display.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
To be honest, now that I have researched more, I think I'll go with the MBA.

The thing is, I'll have to bring it to the school and then back home everyday. So the 220 gr weight difference will be significant. I also travel around 3-4 times a year, so I think longer battery life will also be useful. Also my work is not gonna be graphics.

Considering these, I thought maybe it's wiser to let go of a fancy screen and get lightness and battery life in exchange.

Do you think it's a sensible decision?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you think it's a sensible decision?

At some point in purchase process the final decision is a personal choice.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok :D

I think I'm buying the Air then. Thanks a lot for all the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. Enjoy it.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.