WIFI not reconnecting when new MBP Retina wakes from sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
When my new MBP Retina wakes up the wifi dies not reconnect. I have to "Turn WIFI off" and back on again. My late 2011 works without a problem on the same netowrk. I have been to an Apple Genius four times. I have even returned the MBP and got a new one. Same problem....

Any suggestions. Could it be the Linksys wifi router? SOuld I get an Apple AirPort Extreme????

THanks
Monty

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would try a new router. It doesn't necessarily have to be an Airport Extreme unless that's something you want anyway. There have been problems with WiFi dying after a wakeup going all the way back to 2010 MacBook Pros and iMacs. I know, because mine suffered from the same thing. Apple issued several firmware fixes and patches which eventually resolved the problems. I haven't heard of any reoccurring WiFi problems with the new retina machines but you might want to do a search and see what you can come up with.

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried everything else. I guess a new router is in order.
Thanks
Monty

I would try a new router. It doesn't necessarily have to be an Airport Extreme unless that's something you want anyway. There have been problems with WiFi dying after a wakeup going all the way back to 2010 MacBook Pros and iMacs. I know, because mine suffered from the same thing. Apple issued several firmware fixes and patches which eventually resolved the problems. I haven't heard of any reoccurring WiFi problems with the new retina machines but you might want to do a search and see what you can come up with.

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can not believe it, a new wifi router fixed it (so far)
I've let my Mac slap about 10 times and it reconnected w/o an issue :)
THanks
Monty

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great, glad to hear it. Which router did you buy?

Reaction score
Not trying to sound harsh, but this seems like a BS fix!!! I have a brand new Airport Extreme and I have this problem. Getting a new router isn't an option! I am really getting sick of the problems I have been having with my Mac system. Problems are the reason I switched from Windows to Apple!!!

M

MacInWin

I just installed a new Airport Extreme and one of my 9 devices (my wife's Mac Mini) kept disconnecting. I ended up telling it to forget the network, rebooted to clear the cache, then re-established it completely new and the problem disappeared. You might try that. Somehow the system was caching the old network stuff and viewed the new AE as a "temporary" location instead of the prime network.

Reaction score
I just installed a new Airport Extreme and one of my 9 devices (my wife's Mac Mini) kept disconnecting. I ended up telling it to forget the network, rebooted to clear the cache, then re-established it completely new and the problem disappeared. You might try that. Somehow the system was caching the old network stuff and viewed the new AE as a "temporary" location instead of the prime network.

Thanks, I will give it a try. What exactly do you mean by telling it to forget it???

M

MacInWin

System Preferences/Networks/<pick your interface in the left hand window>/Advanced, highlight the network in question, click on the "-" symbol at the bottom left of the window with the list of networks. Then click "OK" and if it is ungreyed, "Apply" to leave System Prefs. That should purge the network from your MBP. At this point I would suggest you reboot to flush out any cached information. Then you can re-create the connection. That's what fixed my wife's Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.