New to site - just ordered my first MBP!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just joined. Waiting for my new MacBook Pro but have used iPad iPhone for years. Couldn't really afford the MBP but thought hey you only live once and went for it. It replaces my Windows 8 laptop. One initial question, will it be a simply process moving my photo library from my current machine to the MBP. Also how do I move my iTunes library from one to another? Looking forward to the MBP arriving and wife probably won't see me for a week after :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Congratulations! You will love it. As to moving pictures or music, I am sure there are several ways but what I did was format a USB hard drive (or a flash drive will work too) in Windows using the extFAT option. Both windows 8 and your new Mac will read it. I am not that familiar with iTunes and if it redownloads purchases made at the iTunes Store but I believe it does???

Compared to Windows 8, Mavericks is a dream. It is so much smoother. I have a laptop with Windows 8 and I just don't get the hype. I will either role it back to 7 or maybe promote it to being a hackintosh and install Mavericks.

I am sure others will have advice too. Enjoy!

Lisa

OP
asmith933
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Lisa. The issue with iTunes is that I loaded lots of old CDs into my library so it's not just purchased stuff that I need to move. I'll search the forum to find out how this is done. Regards, Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Asmith... - welcome to the forum & congrats on a new MBPro! :)

I was in this same situation back in March, i.e. new rMBP and old Dell laptop - there is a 'Migration Assistant' app in Lauchpad (in the 'Other' folder) that you may want to use (icon is attached).

But, I just wanted to transfer my Documents, Pictures, and Music, so I simply used an external HD and put the data in the appropriate files on the new laptop. My music contained mainly ripped CDs and some purchases - had to do a little re-organizing in iTunes but works for me. Good luck! Dave :)

Migration-Assistant.png

OP
asmith933
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, will give it a try and hopefully all will go smoothly! Rgds, Adam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.