Airport not working but no problem with router

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro with OS X 10.6.8. I came home from work the other day and my wireless internet was not responding. After a longgggg phone call with my ISP they determined it was not a service problem. but probably a problem with the airport.

The macbook works great with the ethernet cable and my iphone still gets perfect wifi.

I took it to my mac shop and he managed to get it connected to the wifi network but still could not connect to the internet via the airport.

My ethernet cable also does not work if the airport is on.

Things I have tried so far:

1. Reload the OS
2. Restart the modem
3. Clear the router cache

Has anyone got any ideas????

Thanks
Nik

Reaction score
Aiport issue

Not sure it is the same problem but I will post my issue here and maybe you can try to do what I do and see if it works. If some other persons could help me out on my issue too that'd be great!

Here it is:

I also have a Macbook pro with Mac OS 10.6.8
I have been having some issues with my Airport and wifi connection since I migrated from a provider to another. I don't know if it's related but it happened at the same time. It's been 3 days and since then:

Every time I open the lid I am not connected to any network and need to choose my network. When I do, it does connect to the network but still I am unable to go on internet successfully. I need to go on:

Open network preferences>Assist me>Diagnostics>Select a location ( I always have the option between "Location" and "Location (17/10/2012 17:46)" and usually choose either one) At this point it tells me on the right the Network status and the following are green: Airport, Airport settings, Network settings but the following are red: ISP, Internet, Sever.

I am then asked to choose a network port configuration which is Airport in this case and then asked to choose a network where I select mine of course. It then diagnose and at this point it always green out all the network status and I am finally able to access internet.

This is very time consuming and frustrating so I would like to know how to resolve this. Now, the other issue is that I have tried to tweak it on my own and I was playing with the Locations and since then the Airport won't even show my network at all whereas it is showing fine on all the other devices I have in my home. I therefore decided to use my mobile phone as tethering to write this message and I have noticed exactly the same problem as with my other network. This one shows but I still have to go through all the diagnostics first to make it work.

Any advice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Things I have tried so far:

1. Reload the OS
2. Restart the modem
3. Clear the router cache

What did the folks at the Mac shop tell you? It sounds like the airport card in your MacBook has failed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.