Time Capsule and multiple computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I'm thinking about getting a time capsule to keep a backup of my computer in my office. I want someone else to be able to back up their macbook, but not be able to access my files. Is this possible?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? Not set one up that way, but am setting up a new one tomorrow with 3 computers using TM backing up to it. Will let you know.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Setting up a last gen model, not the current model TC - should be the same as I am using the most current version of Airport Utility for the setup.

On the TC,
I have file sharing turned on,
I am using the same password for the wifi network and the TC - you would want to use a different password for each.

Two Macs with 200 GB+ backups are done. The 3rd is backing up now.
So, TM has access to backup to the TC.
That Mac also has 'Connected Servers' checked in Finder - therefore, the TC does show up in Finder - but it has no access to connect to the TC without entering the password.

Went looking for the TC password on this 3rd Mac - Not sure where TM stores the password so that it can connect - I did go looking on that machine to see if I could discover the password after starting TM - it's not anywhere I looked, incl'g in Keychain Access.

However, for your own peace of mind, there are multiple options you can set up for privacy related to accessing the disk. Airport Utility provides setting up access/password for file sharing based on the device, the disk or by user. So, should be plenty of options there to protect the data from outside access while at the same time permitting TM access. So you could set up file sharing and add only your account with it's own password.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
Awesome. Thank you very much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.