purple haze

Reaction score
weird screen issue pink purple hue horizontal lines. Binks first then covers the white of anything open on my macbook pro. help!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some more info? Year and model MacBook Pro? Version of OS X?

Also, if you could attach a screen shot for us to view, it would be helpful. And welcome to the Mac Forums!

OP
G
Reaction score
purple haze reply

Thank you for the furtherance of this problem and giving me some hope…..

Got Mac book pro OSX version 10.7.5 about 4 years old

While I'm working on screen shots getting to me: the purple seems not to want to go to black or anything but white. It's in motion so I'm trying for a movie. Tiny vertical lines. Light purple color. Came on with little flashes, sort of hints of what was to come. For maybe 3 days then it filled a part of the screen, an application really. Then all the pages. Not the BG. But does hit the very top apple white line. It stays for 1/2 hour. Will switch off for a moment or more then back on. Even the curser has a whiite edge around it with a big open [white] stroke to the lower right. Just went white for a couple of seconds and back. Last night shut down the computer, worked for a while normal today when I started it up. Then it all came back and is now staying. Didn't effect playing a DVD last night. And now it's gone, what a relief. That was about a 1/2 hour maybe more…..

Screen shot doesn't show it. Can't seem to send from my iPhone which sees it very well.

Please start with this info. Tomorrow I will be in town and be able to try again.

thank you, ggreeley

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If a screen shot does not show the discoloration, it may be software related or possibly a defective LCD. We're going to have to narrow it down better before recommending what to do. Do you have an external monitor or TV that you can connect to your MacBook Pro? You will a adapter and cable in order to connect an external display or TV.

OP
G
Reaction score
tomorrow I'll have access and plug in, then observe if the purple shows up? I'll check in tomorrow after I find something out. thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Newest Mac Mini
My brand new Mini has a pink "overlay" on occasion when I start it. The problem seems to be my (also new) LED HDMI monitor. Turning the monitor off and back on corrects the problem.

I also had a similar issue with a HDMI LCD TV. It would "green screen" when I turned it on. I swapped out the HDMI cable for component cables and the issue went away.

Hope this helps, even a little.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you Brozz. I'll try some of your techniques. I'm beginning to get it within the first 5 minutes or so of powering up and am almost getting used to it. Still love to see it gone, cuts the contrast of black on white. thanks again. g

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.