• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

2 OS Questions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Here's the story: I created two partitions on an external harddrive. With ~300 gigs (formatted) to work with I went with one 280 gig (for video) and one 20 gig (for toying around with Linux).

Both are Mac OS Extended (Journald).

I have two questions:
1) I installed OS X 10.4 (from my recovery discs) on the 280 gig partition, then when I went to see if it worked, I rebooted while holding down "T", but all I got was the yellow Firewire logo that blinks around the screen.

I tried reintalling OS X (whiped drive; re-partitioned hard drive). Same issue.
What can I do?

2) As I mentioned earlier, I have the 20 gig partition for Linux. Can anyone recommend a good distro? I used Feather Linux on my Windows box to try it out, and I've used Debian from time to time on a friends PC, but I don't have much extended experience with it (the entire reason I did this).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
to_tough_to_die said:
I have two questions:
1) I installed OS X 10.4 (from my recovery discs) on the 280 gig partition, then when I went to see if it worked, I rebooted while holding down "T", but all I got was the yellow Firewire logo that blinks around the screen.
That's not really an issue, you're just trying to access the wrong feature. Holding down the T key turns the Mac into a FireWire drive. What you want to do is hold down the option key, that will bring up a place for you to select what you want to boot from.

to_tough_to_die said:
2) As I mentioned earlier, I have the 20 gig partition for Linux. Can anyone recommend a good distro? I used Feather Linux on my Windows box to try it out, and I've used Debian from time to time on a friends PC, but I don't have much extended experience with it (the entire reason I did this).
I would suggest YellowDog

--Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
That's not really an issue, you're just trying to access the wrong feature. Holding down the T key turns the Mac into a FireWire drive. What you want to do is hold down the option key, that will bring up a place for you to select what you want to boot from.

Ah, slipped up there I guess! Thanks for your help.

As for YellowDog, it looks good. I'll try it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.