a few panther tricks.....

J

jonmichael23

hey guys I made this thread for posts on new tricks in panther. I know of 3 pretty cool ones. The 1st one u probably already know about- were u can click command and tab to show a floating pallete of open programs. The 2nd one I just found out about today. Go to your applications folder,then the utilities folder , and open terminal. Type this, exactly this way- defaults write com.apple.Dock showhidden -bool yes and click enter. Now when u hide an app the icon in the dock will become semi-transparent and wont have the arrow underneath so u know that it is "hidden". You will have to reset the dock after doing this in able to see this change . In the same utilities folder is the program Activity Monitor. Open it and find where it says Dock, click where it says dock and hit guit process, quit. The dock will then restart and have this effect when u hide applications (command-h). I find this to be very cool. To get rid of this u go back into a new terminal window and type- defaults write com.apple.Dock showhidden -bool no and hit enter and it will take away the semi-transparency and bring back the arrow underneath your programs. The third and final is pretty cool too. Open a new terminal window , type emacs and hit enter. it will load a unix text editor. Press escape (esc) and then type xpong and hit enter. A game of pong in 80 by 24 will then appear. You can move the left paddle with the up and down arrows and the right paddle with the left and right arrows. Know of any other cool tricks ? PS- sometimes when u open activty monitor it wont show activity monitor and u have to go to Monitor, show activity monitor, or press command-1.....

Hope you like these :D , Jonathan Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah those were in jaguar :D (minus the floating window)

theres also a way to make the dock go to the top

OP
J

jonmichael23

you can make the dock go to the top?! sweet. How do you do it? I just got my mac in october, I've had a pc for about three years and just got tired of windows. I saw an iMac in some magazine about a year or so ago and that night i was at apple.com looking at os x and the computers all night. A friend of mine told me they were crap and couldn't do much, but after going to the apple store and spending about 3 hours there i knew that he knew nothing about it and that i needed a mac. It was the best choice I'll ever make in my life ( except when i make the choice to get a new one! :) ) I hope to max out my iMac this christmas with another 512 stick of ram. Then i figure in about three four years I'll have saved enough money to get a G5..... who knows by then they might have dual 3 ghz G5 processors in iMacs lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.