com.apple.desktop.plist missing

Reaction score
hi guys

so i've had problems with my desktop all night, can't do anything with it, nothing is appearing, and after some research, i've found if i make a new user admin account i can use it as normal but back on my main account still nothing.. i noticed the com.apple.desktop.plist file in my account is missing.. i thought it was meant to regenerate but it obviously hasn't.. how come my desktop is fine with the new user account but problems with this one? how can i fix this? the com.apple.desktop.plist file is not in either of my preferences folders.. which is where it should be.

any way to fix this without having to do a osx install? it works fine in a different user account..

thank you.

Reaction score
Have you actually set any preferences in Finder? Where exactly are you looking? Should be in ~/Library/Preferences/

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
~ / Library

means your user's home folder / Library

Not in the root Library folder.

If you have a desktop - that file is there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't have a plist file either which would make sense in some respects since it is little more than a glorified representation of the ~/Desktop folder. Indeed, many of the preferences for it are the same ones you'd find for any other folder including a background.

Right click on the Desktop folder and select Get Info. What do you see under the permissions section at the bottom?

OP
Y
Reaction score
~ / Library

means your user's home folder / Library

Not in the root Library folder.

If you have a desktop - that file is there.
yes i went to finder go, typed in ~/Library and the folder with preferences was there, but no desktop plist..

I don't have a plist file either which would make sense in some respects since it is little more than a glorified representation of the ~/Desktop folder. Indeed, many of the preferences for it are the same ones you'd find for any other folder including a background.

Right click on the Desktop folder and select Get Info. What do you see under the permissions section at the bottom?
that's the thing, when i right click nothing happens still.. i just re installed osx from the restore menu and im getting the same error what the ****?? this is driving me insane if someone can please help would appreciate it!

Reaction score
If you open your user folder, select the Desktop folder and do a command-i, what happens?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
that's the thing, when i right click nothing happens still
Are you right clicking the folder inside of your user directory in Finder or the Desktop itself? You need to do the former, not the latter.

OP
Y
Reaction score
yep i am here's a screenshot

http://i44.tinypic.com/281d9fq.png

nothing to do with the desktop anywhere so i think this might be something to do with it.

i still find it strange i am able to do everything normally with the desktop on a different user account..

Reaction score
Shot in the dark:
Mavericks is using a different cache system than other versions. This may be the reason things don't show up like they're supposed to.
Try running Onyx (the appropriate version for your OS version) and delete the caches. Actually, run the 'Automated' tab which does this and more. See if this helps.

Edit: that pic you posted is of your non-existent plist file. We asked what did you get when you did a get info on the actual Desktop folder.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Shot in the dark:
Mavericks is using a different cache system than other versions. This may be the reason things don't show up like they're supposed to.
Try running Onyx (the appropriate version for your OS version) and delete the caches. Actually, run the 'Automated' tab which does this and more. See if this helps.

Edit: that pic you posted is of your non-existent plist file. We asked what did you get when you did a get info on the actual Desktop folder.

oh under get info on the desktop folder the permissions under my user account are set to "Read and write" which is the norm i take it?

Reaction score
Yes that's normal. It's not locked is it? (also shown in the get info window)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.