Boot Camp Assistant - Removing Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5
I have installed Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro few days ago through Boot Camp Assistant, and then few days later I decided to remove the windows 7 and instal it again.
When I was removing Windows 7 by Boot Camp Assistant, since it took so much of time from me, I decided to force close it. When I checked on Utilities to make sure this 40 GB is deleted. Windows was deleted but the whole partition was lost in my Hard Disc. I mean I should have had 500 gb on my HD but it was showing only 460 gb. Please help me on this :Grimmace: I want my 40 gb back on my mac hd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Where are you seeing 460?

If you go into Disk Utility how big is your OSX partition and can you see any other partitions?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Utilities in Mac

I have seen it in Utilities before reinstalling windows.

My OS partition capacity is 368.91 GB and the Bootcamp capacity is 90 GB .. that sums up to be almost 460 Gb. My previous windows 7 was installed on 40 gb and it is lost now!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I was removing Windows 7 by Boot Camp Assistant, since it took so much of time from me, I decided to force close it.

That was a mistake. The 40 GB was likely not properly returned to your Macintosh HD disk space.

My previous windows 7 was installed on 40 gb and it is lost now!

You can get the space back by using Disk Utility but first how about telling us which version of OS X you're running so we can advise you how.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS Mavericks

Yes, I know, I made a mistake :( . I am currently using the latest version of OS X 10.9

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot to your Recovery Partition: Hold down the Command + R keys as soon as you hear the boot sound. After your Mac boots to recovery, select Utilities, and then select Disk Utility.

Highlight your Macintosh HD on the left side. Then go to the right side and select the partition tab. You should see some unallocated space on the drive; that will be the missing 40 GB. Select the Macintosh HD partition and drag the partition border down to fill the entire drive. Then select apply. That should get the 40 GB back.

I recommend making a backup before you start the above procedure.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't drag

I selected the partition, but it doesn't drag. I also tried to change the unallocated partition format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). It does accept to change the partition format, but there is no progress bar or anything that shows it is done or not. When I wanna close the Utilities, it gives me this notification,

"Operations still in progress
There are unsaved changes to the partition settings of this disk. Closing the window will lose your changes.
Are you sure you want to close the window?
"

and then I just click on "don't close" and waiting ..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6fuex2y1uuv2o5/Screenshot%202013-11-30%2014.44.41.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9bvbme1vez7714/Screenshot%202013-11-30%2014.53.00.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The screenshot looks normal. You should be able to select the Macintosh HD and drag the bottom to fill the empty space and then press apply. I hope you are not also using the Stellar Partition Manager as that can cause problems.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not using Stellar. I found it not applicable on my problem. I drag the bottom line downward, but it doesn't seem to move.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I see the problem now. I was thinking you still wanted to keep the Boot Camp partition intact. Do this:

Click on the partition that says "Boot Camp". Then press the minus button at the bottom and press "apply". Once that is removed, you should then be able to drag the Macintosh HD partition to fill the entire drive and press apply. It may take awhile to run. The small partition is the one you're booted from (recovery) so that will remain OK.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Free Space (39.87 Gb)

I prefer to keep my Bootcamp intact, since I have installed my windows successfully. It's just the last partition after bootcamp doesn't join the Macintosh HD..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, OK. Then, there's nothing we can do to alter that partition to get the space back short of erasing the drive and reinstalling Mavericks and then Windows 7. If you're willing to spend some money, you can try iPartition which can non destructively move partitions and join them back together.

Or, if you feel brave and know you're way around Linux, you can try to use the free GParted.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate your reply. Kind of you, sir.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.